Player cannot move tokens, disconnects

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Tinalles
Kobold

Player cannot move tokens, disconnects

Post by Tinalles »

Half way through this evening's session, my player encountered a serious bug. She could not move her tokens, and periodically disconnected. The exact behavior was as follows:

1) The player would attempt to move a token.

2) I, the GM, would see a grayed out copy of the token in its initial position, a color copy of the token at its final position, and the path between those marked with the usual white-ish trail markers. No error message.

3) Hovering a mouse over the greyed-out token at the start position would cause it to gain a red marquee to indicate selection.

4) Hovering a mouse over the color token at the end would NOT cause that one to gain a red marquee.

5) The image of the two tokens and the path between them would persist for 5-20 seconds, then vanish. The token at the start position regained its color at this time, and the path and the one at the end point just went away.

6) The player would attempt again to move a token.

7) Although the player reported seeing the token move on her end, there was no visible indication of motion on my end. No error message.

8) Player could repeat steps 6-7 multiple times with the same result.

9) Triggering macros on the token would work normally on her end, but I would not see anything in the chat log.

10) Eventually, the player's client would inform her that she had disconnected.

11) The chat log on my end did NOT record a disconnection.

12) If the player attempted to rejoin, she would receive an error stating that another player was already using her player name.

13) If I restarted the server, she could connect once more, and then the whole process started over from step 1.

This was NOT a case of "Lock Player Movement" being enabled; I checked that.

This was NOT a case of the Initiative palette locking player movement; I checked that too.

We generally don't enforce token ownership, but formally assigning her ownership of the tokens did not help.

Deleting and replacing the tokens did not help.

Switching to a new map with fresh tokens did not help.

Switching to a new map in a new campaign with new tokens did not help.

Allowing her to connect as a GM did not help.

Disabling her firewall did not help.

I never had any difficulty moving or controlling tokens myself.

Version info: We're both on 1.3.b89p NERPS.

Other tech info: I'm on Windows 7, she's on Windows 10; but that's been the case for months with no previous trouble.

We're using tokens generated by hl2mt from Hero Lab files, and have been for a couple years now.

After spending about 3 hours mucking around attempting to fix this, we gave up and I just moved her tokens for her, which worked, but was tedious. Not to mention wasting a huge portion of our game time for the evening on debugging.

Any suggestions?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Player cannot move tokens, disconnects

Post by Full Bleed »

Tinalles wrote:Any suggestions?
I know you supplied a lot of information, but not some of the core info we always look for when something like this occurs.

For the sake of getting closer to a resolution right now I am going to assume that you had other players in the same session that were having no problems. Without that assumption, I can't be sure that the problems weren't on your (the server's) end.

Right off the bat, it sounds like she may have been having some connection integrity issues. Before assuming that this is a persistent issue, you might want to report back in a day or two about whether or not the situation is persisting.

If the problem is still going on, you need to have her ping and tracert your IP to see what it says. She should also do a speed and ping test at speedtest.net and pingtest.net to see what they say.

If it's not a connection issue, you've indicated that you've been playing for months without issue. That means that *something* has changed on her end. Check to see if she has installed any new software or hardware since the last time you played without issue.

Also, please share her Help>Gather Debug Information here.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Tinalles
Kobold

Post by Tinalles »

In this case, she is the only player; it's a solo campaign.

We're planning to do some debugging on Monday evening. I'll have her try the network tests you suggest and report back.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Tinalles wrote:In this case, she is the only player; it's a solo campaign.
Then the connection problems could very well have been on your side during the affected period of time.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Tinalles
Kobold

Post by Tinalles »

Potentially. I think it somewhat unlikely; my connection is pretty good, whereas hers is somewhat more iffy.

Anyway, we'll do a bunch of tests Monday and report back. Oh, and here's the Gather Debug info for my end. We'll get hers on Monday.
GM side gather debug info
==== MapTool Information ====
MapTool Version: 1.3.b89p (Nerps!)
MapTool Home...: C:\Users\Selanit\.maptool
Max mem avail..: 1,820M
Max mem used...: 490M

==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7
Java Version: 1.7.0_10
Result of executing 'java -version':
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_10-b18)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.6-b04, mixed mode)

==== OS Information ====
OS Name........: Windows 7
OS Version.....: 6.1
OS Architecture: amd64
PATH...........: C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\PyQt4;C:\Python27\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\AGL;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\;.
Number of Procs: 4

==== User Information ====
User Name: Selanit
User Home: C:\Users\Selanit
User Dir.: C:\Program Files (x86)\maptool

==== Network Interfaces ====
Display Name..: Software Loopback Interface 1
Interface Name: lo
Address...: 127.0.0.1
Address...: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

Display Name..: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Interface Name: eth3
Address...: 192.168.1.106
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:416e:5236:37ba:b368%11

Host Address...: 192.168.1.106
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

==== Locale Information ====
Country.: United States
Language: English
Locale..: English (United States)
Variant.:

==== Display Information ====
Number of Displays: 1
Display 1: 1680x1050(32)

==== Internet Gateway Devices ====
Device Name.: router
Model Name..: router
Manufacturer: DD-WRT
Model Number: V24
Model Desc..: Gateway
Firmware....: POSIX UPnP/1.0 DD-WRT Linux/V24
External IP.: 24.220.234.187

Tinalles
Kobold

Post by Tinalles »

Okay, tests.

We just ran Speedtest.net.

GM side results: 41.2 Mbps down, 7.31 Mbps up, 14 ms ping

Player side results: 19.03 Mbps down, 11.5 Mbps up, 14 ms ping

And here's the player side debug info:
Player side gather debug info
==== MapTool Information ====
MapTool Version: 1.3.b89p (Nerps!)
MapTool Home...: C:\Users\Lacey\.maptool
Max mem avail..: 910M
Max mem used...: 114M

==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7
Java Version: 1.7.0_10
Result of executing 'java -version':
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_10-b18)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.6-b04, mixed mode)

==== OS Information ====
OS Name........: Windows 8
OS Version.....: 6.2
OS Architecture: amd64
PATH...........: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin;C:\WINDOWS\Sun\Java\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\;.
Number of Procs: 4

==== User Information ====
User Name: Lacey
User Home: C:\Users\Lacey
User Dir.: C:\Users\Lacey\Dropbox\Verdessa Campaign\Will Martin Verdessa campaign\Verdessa\maptool

==== Network Interfaces ====
Display Name..: Software Loopback Interface 1
Interface Name: lo
Address...: 127.0.0.1
Address...: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

Display Name..: Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Interface Name: net1
Address...: 2001:0:9d38:90d7:10f5:ca:b386:23a1
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:10f5:ca:b386:23a1%4

Display Name..: TP-LINK Wireless USB Adapter
Interface Name: net5
Address...: 192.168.1.102
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:34f3:916e:48b7:884b%8

Host Address...: 192.168.1.102
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

==== Locale Information ====
Country.: United States
Language: English
Locale..: English (United States)
Variant.:

==== Display Information ====
Number of Displays: 1
Display 1: 1366x768(32)

==== Internet Gateway Devices ====
No IGDs Found!
After doing those tests, we loaded up the campaign and she connected, and everything worked normally. I suspect it might have been a transient network connection issue. What a pain.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Its a pain when that happens. One of my players experienced frequent disconnections after doing a update on his linux laptop, so we all assumed that was his issue. Problem went on for weeks. Then it suddenly went way and his ISP reported various router issues had been fixed! *waves fist*

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Tinalles wrote:After doing those tests, we loaded up the campaign and she connected, and everything worked normally. I suspect it might have been a transient network connection issue. What a pain.
When issues like that arise again, you each can open a command prompt and ping each others IP addresses. That will often unearth a networking problem so you don't pull you hair out trying to find local ghost problems.

Also, keep in mind that even "high end" service can have a bad day (or hour)... and, sometimes, the issue might be from something considerably downstream between user and server such that most of your other activities on line could be completely unaffected.

Ping and tracert are you friends in these situations.

Return to “MapTool”