online Auto Reveal Fog-of-War bogging maptool down severely

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: online Auto Reveal Fog-of-War bogging maptool down sever

Post by Full Bleed »

It sounds like auto-reveal is storing fog data on individual tokens (like if you set Use Individual Fog on). As such, the more you move a token around the more data it stores on the token. And then things get bogged down.

First, it shouldn't be doing that.

Second...
LeMacklemore wrote:Also, if I have auto-reveal-fog on while hosting a server, and I auto-reveal areas by moving a token, I am unable to use the fog tool to re-hide those areas. I am only able to re-hide areas that I've revealed manually either through the fog tool or through pressing ctrl-i. areas that have been auto-revealed do not seem to be re-foggable through any method.
Try making sure that you select the token when you attempt to re-hide areas.

You might also want to share the campaign so people can mess around with it.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I haven't been able to recreate this myself. I am wondering if its an artefact of how you are building the blocks.

I wonder if you get the same effect if you build a solid block then hollow it out?
step1.jpg
step1.jpg (82.91 KiB) Viewed 1282 times

LeMacklemore
Kobold

Post by LeMacklemore »

Full Bleed wrote:Try making sure that you select the token when you attempt to re-hide areas.
yeah, I have the token selected (red/white striped box around token?) when I press ctrl-shift-o but it still seems to just work the same as pressing ctrl-i. it only reveals, doesn't re-hide.
Full Bleed wrote: You might also want to share the campaign so people can mess around with it.
here's the campaign file (click the grey "Download This File" button)

http://www.filedropper.com/visiontest

and the server settings:

Jagged wrote: I am wondering if its an artefact of how you are building the blocks.

I wonder if you get the same effect if you build a solid block then hollow it out?
I tried this but it didn't help

edit: I also tried both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Java Runtime Environment but it made no difference

LeMacklemore
Kobold

Post by LeMacklemore »

alright, so I tried ctrl-shift-o on version 1.3.b91 and it works perfectly! it does not work on version 1.4.0 though (it seems to only behave like ctrl-i, only reveals, no re-hiding)

on 1.3.b91 you can also use ctrl-shift-o to re-hide fog that has been auto-revealed, but as with 1.4.0, you cannot hide auto-revealed areas manually with the fog tool

also both versions bog down when using auto-reveal-fog

can't the devs re-do auto-reveal-fog to have it just automatically press ctrl-i for you every time you move a token haha. ctrl-i seems to work perfectly but I don't want to have to keep pressing it constantly.

also, people who aren't having a problem with the auto-reveal-fog, which versions of maptool are you all using where it works fine? maybe I can try those instead of the 1.3.b91 and 1.4.0 that I have now, since it seems like there can be pretty substantial bugs between versions...
Last edited by LeMacklemore on Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Yeah, I forgot. Ctrl-Shift-o doesn't work in 1.4 (major bug). There's a really complicated way to prevent the FOW lag bug, but if you just reduce max vision to 240 and don't use in wide open areas like outdoors and put a box around your maps then it should be fine.

LeMacklemore
Kobold

Post by LeMacklemore »

aliasmask wrote:There's a really complicated way to prevent the FOW lag bug, but if you just reduce max vision to 240 and don't use in wide open areas like outdoors and put a box around your maps then it should be fine.
eh, not do-able in my campaign. I need the big areas, but thanks anyway

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

LeMacklemore wrote:
aliasmask wrote:There's a really complicated way to prevent the FOW lag bug, but if you just reduce max vision to 240 and don't use in wide open areas like outdoors and put a box around your maps then it should be fine.
eh, not do-able in my campaign. I need the big areas, but thanks anyway
Well, the complicated way is to implement the Bag of Tricks and turn on the movement functions. What it does is after a token is moved, it's movement is cancelled and the path sent to another function that manually moves the token. This process seems to fix the FOW bug issue.

As for wide open areas, you can still use vision distance and vbl to control what can be seen. I would for example set vision to 60 ft if in a forest area so no tokens beyond that can be seen. I also turn off the visibility of tokens that may be hiding closer than that. I just don't have the FOW on for outdoor maps and I use another map for interior areas on the outdoor map.

LeMacklemore
Kobold

Post by LeMacklemore »

aliasmask wrote: Well, the complicated way is to implement the Bag of Tricks and turn on the movement functions. What it does is after a token is moved, it's movement is cancelled and the path sent to another function that manually moves the token. This process seems to fix the FOW bug issue.
I was just going to map ctrl-i to a mouse button so I can just quickly hit it whenever I move a token, but I'll have to give the Bag of Tricks workaround a try

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

aliasmask wrote:
Jagged wrote:Post a link to the map and I will give it a go.
He posted a link to a video. It's just some basic shapes and a single token that lags right away.
I'd still be interested in trying his map, because I cannot recreate the problem. I am using the server config from the first post, vision distance 1000 too. Can you recreate the issue Aliasmask?

Darcphaze
Cave Troll

Post by Darcphaze »

I'm using version 1.4.0.0 set at 1024/128 with BoT for PadEnd movement, server set for no individual FoW, vision set 240 and I got the bogged down movement as well. However removing the individual FoW setting did clear up the FoW re-Hiding issues for me.

I have 8 character tokens, nothing attached or turned on (like stat popups, etc) just plain tokens. I move one, it seems ok, but it does hesitate. I move the whole group and it bogs down. Perhaps I neglected to turn something on in the BoT setup?
No matter what a GM plans for, the players are certain to find another way to do it

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

there is a toggle in the settings (not sure of its name but somethings like) reset fow after move. thats the one you need to clear the 'bogged down'.

Darcphaze
Cave Troll

Post by Darcphaze »

Thanks a bunch :D I'll give it a try

Results:
Ok I timed 20' movement to see how long it took to actually move and several times to see any difference between the FoW toggled on or not. There's literally no real difference.

Single tokens move in 5 sec (that's fine)
Changing token varied between 5-10 sec
Group moves in 29-32 sec

It almost acts as if its 'looking' for something as I move the cursor around and click on things and it hesitates every time I click anything or anywhere, as if it were struggling to find the spot. Movement has become tedious. Click, wait. Move, wait. And as you can see, a good 30 sec just to move the group, which is really slow compared to not having the BoT installed. I love the Start/End pads. They work great and save me a lot of effort on a large map.

Any other suggestions?

Updated:
Ok I spent some time tweaking and untweaking various suggestions.
Not worried about the java so I updated to 1.4.1.7 and it cut the movement of groups to 14 sec. I'm a happy camper
No matter what a GM plans for, the players are certain to find another way to do it

Return to “MapTool”