online Auto Reveal Fog-of-War bogging maptool down severely

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
LeMacklemore
Kobold

online Auto Reveal Fog-of-War bogging maptool down severely

Post by LeMacklemore »

I'm learning maptool and just figured out how to host/connect to servers, and I run into a big snag when dealing with fog auto-reveal.

The auto-revel fog-of-war / visibility seems to be bogging the program down until it's completely unresponsive.

In the video below I draw some simple walls and apply visibility shapes to them. Then I turn on fog-of-war (with the server set to automatically reveal fog of war with player movement) and begin moving the player token around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNLLgzZ3c5k

As soon as I move the player token out of the "door" and around the upper-left corner of the "building", the program slows down until it becomes completely unresponsive, and I can hardly click and drag tokens or even zoom. Clearing the memory in the bottom right does nothing, waiting does nothing either. I have to completely close and restart the program.

These are not complicated geometries, these are very simple shapes and they're still making maptool feces the bed. I've tried a few different memory/stack settings in the launcher but it didn't help anything. Am I doing something wrong?
Last edited by LeMacklemore on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:25 am, edited 5 times in total.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: online Auto Reveal Fog-of-War bogs maptool down severely

Post by aliasmask »

What version of MapTool is that?

I recommend reducing the vision distance in preferences to 240 down from the default of 1000. Also, I didn't see what server settings you set up. I assume individual FOW. What happens is the token saves the FOW data on the token and when moving redraws the token and passes all that data causing lag when it's too big. The PF framework and using the BoT for movement actually fixes that bug. I thought this was resolved in the latest MapTool, so if you're using an older one then perhaps that will solve it for you.

LeMacklemore
Kobold

Post by LeMacklemore »

Here are my server settings

I'm using Maptool version 1.4.0.0

I tried lowering view distance from default 1000 down to 240, but it didn't seem to do much of anything.

I'm very new to maptool. What's the PF framework and BoT for movement, and would they fix this? It seems strange that maptool can't do this properly in the first place. Should I try to reinstall Java Runtime Environment?
Last edited by LeMacklemore on Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Lowering the default after the map is created won't change the existing map. You'll have to edit the map as well. But new maps will have the new default.

Hmm, interesting. I'll have to do some testing. Maybe the fix was done only for individual views. This is a really old bug that I haven't seen for awhile. Can you post your Gather Debug Info as well. What are your memory settings and are you using the launcher.jar file to run the campaign?

LeMacklemore
Kobold

Re: online Auto Reveal Fog-of-War bogging maptool down sever

Post by LeMacklemore »

Lowering the default after the map is created won't change the existing map. You'll have to edit the map as well. But new maps will have the new default.
yeah I've tried editing the existing map and making a new map.

debug:

Code: Select all

==== MapTool Information ====
MapTool Version: 1.4.0.0

MapTool Home...: ..\..\.maptool
Max mem avail..: 1,778M
Max mem used...: 272M
Custom Property: -DMAPTOOL_DATADIR=..\..\.maptool

==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_66
Java Version: 1.8.0_66
Result of executing 'java -version':
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_66-b18)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.66-b18, mixed mode)

==== OS Information ====
OS Name........: Windows 7
OS Version.....: 6.1
OS Architecture: amd64
PATH...........: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_66\bin;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\system32\wbem;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem;C:\Program Files\Calibre2;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files (x86)\GNU\GnuPG\pub;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;.
Number of Procs: 4

==== User Information ====
User Name: ***
User Home: C:\Users\***
User Dir.: C:\Users\***\Desktop\maptool-1.4.0.0

==== Network Interfaces ====
Display Name..: Software Loopback Interface 1
Interface Name: lo
Address...: 127.0.0.1
Address...: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

Display Name..: NETGEAR WNA1100 N150 Wireless USB Adapter
Interface Name: wlan2
Address...: 10.0.0.2
Address...: 2601:549:c001:2d2b:b939:32ea:c864:9ed0
Address...: 2601:549:c001:2d2b:4d1a:286d:1543:4aba
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:b939:32ea:c864:9ed0%wlan2

Host Address...: 10.0.0.2
Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1

==== Locale Information ====
Country.: United States
Language: English
Locale..: English (United States)
Variant.: 

==== Display Information ====
Number of Displays: 1
Display 1: 1920x1080(32)

==== Internet Gateway Devices ====
Device Name.: ARRIS TG852 Router
Model Name..: ARRIS TG852 Router
Manufacturer: ARRIS
Model Number: 1.01.84_1215
Model Desc..: ARRIS TG852 Router
Firmware....: Arris/1.0 UPnP/1.0 miniupnpd/1.0
External IP.: ***.***.***.***

launcher settings:

LeMacklemore
Kobold

Post by LeMacklemore »

I tried completely uninstalling/reinstalling java. I tried on both maptool 1.4.0 and 1.3.b91

same exact thing happens when I go around the corner of that house

can someone else try exactly what I did and see if it works for you? this makes no sense, my computer's a beast.

LeMacklemore
Kobold

Post by LeMacklemore »

installed both maptool 1.4.0 and java on a completely different laptop, same thing happened. I guess maptool can't do auto-reveal-fog on open outdoor maps?

LeMacklemore
Kobold

Post by LeMacklemore »

I messed with it some more and set maxmem to 10,000 and stack size to 32, lowered the map view distance down to 250 and it seemed to help a lot, but when I moved the piece around the perimeter of the "house" a few times it eventually bogged down again. I think it's a java running out of memory thing.
Last edited by LeMacklemore on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Btw, what game system are you trying to play?

LeMacklemore
Kobold

Post by LeMacklemore »

trying to decide between ubiquity, savage worlds, cypher, or basic roleplaying system, but whatever I choose it's going to be a realistic post-apoc setting with large outdoor areas, and I'm changing the firearms to have realistic engagement distances (300 meters or so). going to have players crossing large areas, assaulting towns and compounds, possible vehicles, etc

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

When it starts to bog down, select the token and hit either ctrl-i or ctrl-shift-o. Then move it around some more and see how long it takes to lag. Also, draw your house, then draw a box around that and compare the lag issue.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Post a link to the map and I will give it a go.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Jagged wrote:Post a link to the map and I will give it a go.
He posted a link to a video. It's just some basic shapes and a single token that lags right away.

Something just occurred to me. Turn on strict token ownership, then the FOW is saved locally only(?) rather than passing all that data to the clients.

LeMacklemore
Kobold

Post by LeMacklemore »

Strict token ownership didn't help. It gets bogged down even if I only have one maptool up hosting a server with nobody connected.

Drawing a box around the area fixed it, so I think it's dependent on view distance.

I tried turning off "auto-reveal-fog" and just using ctrl-i to reveal fog and that worked fine. it seems to be a problem with auto-reveal somehow accumulating more and more memory as you move a token, that eventually builds up until it stops the program, which is strange because it should basically be an automated ctrl-i but I guess it isn't.

Strangely, I can't get ctrl-shift-o to reset fog for the life of me, on tool revealed fog, ctrl-i revealed fog, or auto-revealed fog. When I do it on a server, it seems to behave identically to the ctrl-i "reveal fog based on token vision" command. both ctrl-i and ctrl-shift-o do the same exact thing for me.

Also, if I have auto-reveal-fog on while hosting a server, and I auto-reveal areas by moving a token, I am unable to use the fog tool to re-hide those areas. I am only able to re-hide areas that I've revealed manually either through the fog tool or through pressing ctrl-i. areas that have been auto-revealed do not seem to be re-foggable through any method.

Return to “MapTool”