A couple of noobie questions...

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Vargash
Kobold

A couple of noobie questions...

Post by Vargash »

Hiya all, first of all thanks for the fantastic toolset: I'm starting to master a brand new group of D&D 3.5 players, and I must say that this is making everything EXTREMELY easy to manage!

Now onto the questions:

1) Is there a way to set the grid distance with decimal values? I use the metrical system, and a single square is worth 1.5 meters...
I've found a similar question in an older topic, but that was dated 2009 so maybe something has opened up meanwhile...

2) Using MapTools just as a Virtual Table for a physical campaign, I was wondering if there's a way to simply "open" the map in "Player Mode" on the same PC as the server is: in this way there's no need for a server and a client machine, and the "Player Window" can be put visible on a secondary monitor just to let players around the table look at the battle grid, without the need to interact with it (being the DM responsible for that).

Sorry if questions are dumb or already asked.

Thanks!

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: A couple of noobie questions...

Post by Jagged »

1) You can't do decimal units yet. Although this has been raised as an issue and might be changed in the near future. Which won't help you ;)

2) There is a "View As Player" option, but you are better off just connecting as a player. You can easily run two instances of MapTool on one PC and have one run the server and connect the other as a player, over the LAN. I do most of my testing that way and I think most people that use Maptool in face-to-face games, do it that way too.

Vargash
Kobold

Post by Vargash »

For the metric issue then I'll stick with the values in centimeters: problem solved! :D (well, more "circumnavigated" than solved, but who cares :P)

Good for the multiple instances, I tried that on my first tests but didn't know if this was something "approved" or if that could've brought some problems with the system. Cool that!

Thanks for the fast reply =^^=

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Vargash wrote:Thanks for the fast reply =^^=
No problems. If you get the time, please do the odd "write up" in the "Session Report-Back" section. We'd love to what you get up too :)

Vargash
Kobold

Post by Vargash »

Will surely do as soon as we start playing after the painfull introduction of the rules to new players :cry:

Another small question: is it possible to hide the name of the player who's moving a token?
Normally it appears under the token itself while moving, but since the only one with "moving power" is the DM it's kind of superfluous...
In the "View" menu I've only found a way to show/hide the token name... any property or configuration around for hiding the DM name?

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Not that I know of.

Return to “MapTool”