Looking for a cheap tablet that could run MapTool

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
IssLance
Kobold

Looking for a cheap tablet that could run MapTool

Post by IssLance »

Since maptool is in java I guess it should run on windows. It doesn't have to be really powerful since it would be used mostly for tabletop gaming. When I DM for my group irl I stream battle map on TV but asking them all the time where do they want to move in combat got old really fast. Any suggestions? I even think 2gb ram would be enough, as I said, I'm not aiming in the highend devices.

taustinoc
Dragon

Re: Looking for a cheap tablet that could run MapTool

Post by taustinoc »

I run the server on a desktop, and log in a GM on my Win 8.1 net book (which has 2 GB of RAM), an HP Stream 13". Works fine, even with the remote desktop program running at the same time, though I don't use really large maps. (According to the task manager, with nothing running except Google Drive, I have about 700 MB of memory free. But I can set the max memory to 1024 without a problem.)

Cheap Windows netbook start at around $200 or so. Cheap tablets usually only have 1 GB of RAM, though. I don't think I'd want to try MapTool on my cheap tablet, even if it weren't a 7" screen. I've run it on the big tablet, though, with 2 GB of RAM and GoToMeeting running at the same time, again without any problems.

I guess MT can be gotten to run on Android, according to this thread:

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... it=android

Looks fairly complicated to get going, though, but the hardware might be cheaper than a Win tablet.

I would, however, strongly recommend that whatever you use, make sure you can plug in a mouse. I wouldn't even want to try to run MT with a touch screen only.

And in my experience, a cheap netbook isn't much more than a cheap tablet, and you get better hardware (especially if you don't insist on a touch screen).

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Are you looking for a laptop for the GM to use or the players to use? What are you currently using?

For my setup, I built a small pc using an HTPC case using a motherboard that had built in Intel graphics with HDMI and that drives my TV (through a sony receiver for 7.1 surround sound, but that's optional :) ) It also had Blue Tooth built in so I used existing bluetooth keyboard/mouse I had and the players use that to move around (although any wireless mouse would be good).

For the GM view, I'm still using an OLD Sony vaio laptop (has a huge screen) with 4gb ram running Windows 10 (I found going from windows 7 to windows 8 x64 made a huge difference freeing up memory for use in MT, same results with Win10).

IF I have a complicated map, and the laptop is straining, I'll use the laptop to Remote Desktop to my main PC upstairs and log in from that.

FYI: I run the "server" from the PC's PC (the TV's PC) since it's wired, and faster, it does all the autosaves, etc. I find the GM's PC doesn't have to be as powerful.

TL;DR
You would probably be happy with core I3 with 4gb ram. Screen size preference up to you, but If you find you have an extra $50ish, go with a 8gb model, and if still in price range go with a core I5. Should be able to get something in the 300-500$ range easily just looking at current Best Buy prices.
-Jamz

IssLance
Kobold

Post by IssLance »

JamzTheMan wrote:Are you looking for a laptop for the GM to use or the players to use? What are you currently using?

For my setup, I built a small pc using an HTPC case using a motherboard that had built in Intel graphics with HDMI and that drives my TV (through a sony receiver for 7.1 surround sound, but that's optional :) ) It also had Blue Tooth built in so I used existing bluetooth keyboard/mouse I had and the players use that to move around (although any wireless mouse would be good).

For the GM view, I'm still using an OLD Sony vaio laptop (has a huge screen) with 4gb ram running Windows 10 (I found going from windows 7 to windows 8 x64 made a huge difference freeing up memory for use in MT, same results with Win10).

IF I have a complicated map, and the laptop is straining, I'll use the laptop to Remote Desktop to my main PC upstairs and log in from that.

FYI: I run the "server" from the PC's PC (the TV's PC) since it's wired, and faster, it does all the autosaves, etc. I find the GM's PC doesn't have to be as powerful.

TL;DR
You would probably be happy with core I3 with 4gb ram. Screen size preference up to you, but If you find you have an extra $50ish, go with a 8gb model, and if still in price range go with a core I5. Should be able to get something in the 300-500$ range easily just looking at current Best Buy prices.
I'm looking for player view device or I'd rather call it 'player-move-device' since they already see what's happening on a TV. The server is being run on my PC and it works flawlessly so far. 500$ is far from my definition of cheap (eastern europe hell yeah).

I want the tablet to connect into the LAN so it doesn't have to be plugged in with hdmi to tv. As I said - used only for moving tokens around.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Being Java, it typically can be a low end machine, BUT depending on VBL and Lighting, it can start to consume memory fast. I personally want at least 4gb RAM but I use a generous amount of VBL. Otherwise, it could be pretty laggy.

CPU helps but again, only if you use a lot of light sources and VBL. If you keep it simple or don't use Night/Lights at all, you can get away with a low end machine/tablet. Worst case, a Space Bar + Mouse throws an arrow up so they could at least say "I move here" or "I target my fireball here" or "I attack this guy". That alone could be worth it. If you have a local store with a return policy, get what you can afford and try it out. Pre-make (or use an older map) that's on the extreme side of what you do and test it. You should know in an hour or so if it's going to work for you with that setup.

Note: I notice you said "Tablet". Word of warning, MT is more "Mouse" friendly than "Touch screen" friendly. It WILL work with touch but it's a "Long press, slide" to move otherwise you just "select an area". And there isn't really a "Hover" event with touch tablets.
-Jamz

Return to “MapTool”