Grid line width

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
SebastianW
Kobold

Grid line width

Post by SebastianW »

I am trying to make maps using downloaded images, however the maps I have downloaded have one extra pixel in between each grid square as a line. If it was two pixels, I could just increase the grid size, but no matter what I try I cant get all the squares to match up perfectly.

Is there a way to make the grid lines one pixel thick? Or is there another way to solve this problem?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: Grid line width

Post by JamzTheMan »

So a 10x10 grid with 50px squares is 510x510 pixels?

You could load it up in Photoshop/Gimp (or really any cheap photo editor that shows pixel size) and resize the image to 500x500 (or what ever the grid size would be). It's always better to change/stretch the image to the grid and keep the grid to 50x50 or 100x100 (or what ever you choose to use) vs changing MT's grid to 53x53 or some strange number like 71x71. You find a lot of artwork is either 50x50 or 100x100 so you would have to resize objects as on abnormal grid sizes.

If you are on MT 1.4, you can try the new Resize Map option too. Right-click on the image/stamp in MT, select a number of cells/grids (say 10x10 area) and then input what you selected. (Zoom in so you can get somewhat exact).

It should the auto adjust it for you. It'll average out the pixels the best it can. If you find what you selected was like 501x502 or something, you can change that to 500x500 if you sure you are dealing with even grid sizes as it can be hard to select the exact center of a grid line sometimes. It should get you pretty close.

It also works well on maps that have that stupid half cell/grid around the map by changing the offset of the image so the grid intersection on the map aligns with MT's grid.
-Jamz

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I'm not sure, but he may be talking about how MT treats images with an odd pixel dimension and with a rotated image. It's like 1/2 a pixel off because of how it centers it.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Possibly. Screenshots always help! Otherwise we're all guessing. :)
-Jamz

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

JamzTheMan wrote:You could load it up in Photoshop/Gimp (or really any cheap photo editor that shows pixel size) and resize the image to 500x500 (or what ever the grid size would be). It's always better to change/stretch the image to the grid and keep the grid to 50x50 or 100x100 (or what ever you choose to use) vs changing MT's grid
This.

Rather than monkeying around in MT, this will get the best results.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

SebastianW
Kobold

Post by SebastianW »

Thanks for the help, I guess I have some image editing to do

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Also, I wouldn't worry to much about getting it "perfect". Close it good enought generally. If the map has grid lines, turn off MT's gridlines so you won't see doubles. As long as the majority of the token sits in the the maps grid, it's good enough to move and act. You probably won't even notice during game play.
-Jamz

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

SebastianW wrote:Thanks for the help, I guess I have some image editing to do
Feel free to upload an image for one of us to modify if you want to see what a sample edit would look like.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

mistamichal
Kobold

Post by mistamichal »

MapScaleTool has been a HUGE help to me with fixing that annoying problem.

http://www.davebeauvais.com/mapscaletool/

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

mistamichal wrote:MapScaleTool has been a HUGE help to me with fixing that annoying problem.

And FYI: This is also basically what "Auto Resize..." does for you in MT 1.4. I always hated having to do all this outside of MT which is why I added into MT. :D
-Jamz

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

JamzTheMan wrote:
mistamichal wrote:MapScaleTool has been a HUGE help to me with fixing that annoying problem.

And FYI: This is also basically what "Auto Resize..." does for you in MT 1.4. I always hated having to do all this outside of MT which is why I added into MT. :D
Thanks for reminding me. Works like a charm.

mistamichal
Kobold

Post by mistamichal »

JamzTheMan wrote:
Nice! I need to update to 1.4!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

JamzTheMan wrote:And FYI: This is also basically what "Auto Resize..." does for you in MT 1.4. I always hated having to do all this outside of MT which is why I added into MT. :D
How do, and it what cases, do you use this in MT?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I just posted a video online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCV7FmXlmYE

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Full Bleed wrote:
JamzTheMan wrote:And FYI: This is also basically what "Auto Resize..." does for you in MT 1.4. I always hated having to do all this outside of MT which is why I added into MT. :D
How do, and it what cases, do you use this in MT?
As you probably already guessed by the video, but basically for any map with grid lines baked in that don't match your current MapTool grid spacing.

So even if you have a 200x200 grid map and want to use it on a 50x50 pixel MT grid, you can use it to shrink the map as well as expand it.
-Jamz

Return to “MapTool”