my friend for some reason currently cannot open map tool

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Gorawto41
Kobold

my friend for some reason currently cannot open map tool

Post by Gorawto41 »

Every time my friend launches map tool, it would appear to be launching. icon appears at the bottom of the screen, and a window would flash up as if opening. but these signs were only a flash, they would disappear immediately. i don't know how to help, and i have not been able to find much help anywhere els.

Darcphaze
Cave Troll

Re: my friend for some reason currently cannot open map tool

Post by Darcphaze »

My first thought is update the java program your friend is using.

Most any other solution has to make assumptions. For example, if his java is up to date and if he has no special setup, then the next fix is to go into Users/Name/.maptool and delete the mt.cfg file so that the program can ask you where the java is. Point it to the java and try again.
No matter what a GM plans for, the players are certain to find another way to do it

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Which version of MapTool? Is he using the launch.jar file or the maptool.jar file? I recommend using the latest version of MapTool 1.4. What version of java does he have? I recommend only have the latest version of java 8. I recommend removing all version of java, restart and re-install the latest version. If he has a 64bit system, then he should do the 64bit manual download. Letting the java site do it for you will give you the wrong version.

32bit settings
max mem 1400
min 64
stack 3

64bit settings
max mem 2048
min 128
stack 4

darkeness66
Giant

Post by darkeness66 »

aliasmask wrote: If he has a 64bit system, then he should do the 64bit manual download. Letting the java site do it for you will give you the wrong version.
Found this out the hard way myself. I recently had the same problem, but I've been using maptools for years and was able to trouble shoot it myself, but it was frustrating!

Return to “MapTool”