Cannot share campaign files over a local network

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
ladyathena59808
Kobold

Cannot share campaign files over a local network

Post by ladyathena59808 »

Anyone else have this problem or already solved it?

I have a home network of PCs, a couple running Windows 7 and one running Windows 10. When I had all Windows 7, I could see campaign files that were stored on another computer. Now that I have a Windows 10 PC, my Windows 7 PC cannot even view the campaign files saved on Windows 10, but sees (and can edit, copy, delete, etc) everything else...

Not a HUGE deal but a little annoying for the way I like to store and access things. Any help would be appreciated!

taustinoc
Dragon

Re: Cannot share campaign files over a local network

Post by taustinoc »

Sounds like a Windows sharing setting on the Win 10 box. Not "you didn't share the folder," but more like "you didn't turn on sharing in the right way."

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

ladyathena59808 wrote:Now that I have a Windows 10 PC, my Windows 7 PC cannot even view the campaign files saved on Windows 10, but sees (and can edit, copy, delete, etc) everything else...
Ok... I'm assuming that you've got the file in a shared directory with other files... But you're saying that only .cmpgn files are not visible in the folder?

Is that *all* .cmpgn files or just one in particular?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

ladyathena59808
Kobold

All .cmpgn files; and yes, everything else is shared with no problem. I've also specifically got document sharing turned ON.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Do you have anything else shared that has a file extension that Windows doesn't recognize? Which is to say, if you double click on a .txt file, Windows knows to open it in Notepad, and a .docx, it knows to open in Word, etc. But a .cmpgn file, it doesn't know what to do with. Maybe Win 10 doesn't like sharing files of unknown file type.

Here's an experiment: Copy one of the .cmpgn files, then rename it to end in .zip (which is, I believe, the a .cmpgn file is anyway), and see if that is shared. If so, there's something in the sharing settings that's blocking unknown file types.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

ladyathena59808 wrote:All .cmpgn files; and yes, everything else is shared with no problem. I've also specifically got document sharing turned ON.
In file explorer, click on the Share tab, select the .cmpgn file, and specifically select the homegroup you want to share with. You can also do this by right clicking on the file and going through "Share with" context option.

If that doesn't work... then I just don't know enough about homegroup file sharing to be of much help. ;) Best guess is that since the .cmpgn file does not have a program association it doesn't share by default. You could try associating the .cmpgn file with a standard program. Right Click on the file>Properties>Opens With (Change) and select something like WinZip/WinRar (or whatever extractor you have installed on your system... or try Notepad if you don't have any 3rd party extractor installed).

Worst case scenario, you might want to just use OneDrive or Dropbox instead and share the folder among your computers. This will have the added benefit of keeping backups of your campaign files (which is something I'd recommend anyway).
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

ladyathena59808
Kobold

Well, I was able to see the file with the new extension. I specifically shared each individual campaign file on the Windows 10 machine, to no effect. I also made sure that the Windows 7 machine was set to show hidden files. No luck.

But thanks for the suggestions so far.

ladyathena59808
Kobold

I went through and individually shared the campaign files again, this time specifying to the Homegroup rather than to Everyone. Worked this time.

Thanks for the help.

Return to “MapTool”