Having issues saving...

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
celestian
Dragon

Having issues saving...

Post by celestian »

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with maptools (running 1.4.0) because this worked perfectly up until this week.

When I try and save a campaign (or even a token) I'll get an error that Access was denied and/or the file is missing. Sure nuff if you look in the directory it's gone. If I save as it creates it, save it once... but if I try to immediately "Save" it again I get the same error and it's gone again.

I cleaned out all the old versions of java thinking that might be it but didn't seem to matter. Ran java/maptools as admin, that didn't help. Forced my login to have full access to the rptools directory/save... that didn't help.

I'm hoping someone might have a theory on what's causing them. I can for now just keep "save as" to get around it but I dunno what's up.

jre-8u73-windows-x64.exe
Last edited by celestian on Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

celestian
Dragon

Re: Having issues saving...

Post by celestian »

I thought a reboot fixed it but it didn't.

meh, still trying to figure out what's up.

Here is what I see when I save the campaign.

http://www.evernote.com/l/ASB7SrnPSzNBE ... _4N4Lp0xw/

File is indeed gone. If I save again right after that is works. It's like it's having directory permission errors (which shouldn't happen since I gave login FULL access) other than the fact the file is gone.

debug info if anyone cares.

Code: Select all

==== MapTool Information ====
MapTool Version: 1.4.0.0

MapTool Home...: C:\Users\uce_m_000\.maptool
Max mem avail..: 3,641M
Max mem used...: 645M
Custom Property: -DMAPTOOL_DATADIR=C:\Users\...\.maptool

==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_73
Java Version: 1.8.0_73
Result of executing 'java -version':
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_73-b02)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.73-b02, mixed mode)

==== OS Information ====
OS Name........: Windows 10
OS Version.....: 10.0
OS Architecture: amd64
PATH...........: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_73\bin;C:\WINDOWS\Sun\Java\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;D:\Program Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;D:\Net\Bitvise SSH Client;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;.
Number of Procs: 8

==== User Information ====
User Name: uce_m_000
User Home: C:\Users\..._000
User Dir.: D:\D&D\RPTools\1.4

==== Network Interfaces ====
Display Name..: Software Loopback Interface 1
Interface Name: lo
Address...: 127.0.0.1
Address...: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

Display Name..: VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8
Interface Name: eth0
Address...: 10.0.0.x
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:cddf:c994:dd35:3e9c%eth0

Display Name..: Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller
Interface Name: eth2
Address...: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:ecf8:xxxx:xxx:1742%eth2

Display Name..: Microsoft 6to4 Adapter
Interface Name: net1
Address...: 2002:xxx:xxx:0:0:0:xxx:xxx
Address...: 2002:xxx:xxx:0:0:0:xxx:xxx

Display Name..: VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1
Interface Name: eth3
Address...: 192.168.52.1
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:90f0:xxxx:xxxxx%eth3

Display Name..: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Interface Name: eth7
Address...: 192.168.1.141
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:7ca4:3250:xxxx:xxxx%eth7

Host Address...: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Default Gateway: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

==== Locale Information ====
Country.: United States
Language: English
Locale..: English (United States)
Variant.: 

==== Display Information ====
Number of Displays: 2
Display 1: 1920x1080(32)
Display 2: 1920x1080(32)

==== Internet Gateway Devices ====
Device Name.: msw3
Model Name..: Linksys Series Router E1000
Manufacturer: Cisco
Model Number: E1000
Model Desc..: Internet Access Server
Firmware....: POSIX UPnP/1.0 linux/5.70.13.0
External IP.: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Are you, by any chance, saving it to a cloud storage directory? I've never had an issue with MapTool specifically, but I have fits with Google Drive sometimes, as it tries to sync a file that I'm trying to rewrite. (Drive tends to crash when that happens, rather than interfering with whatever other program is using the file, but I've had files disappear.)

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

celestian wrote:When I try and save a campaign (or even a token) I'll get an error that Access was denied and/or the file is missing. Sure nuff if you look in the directory it's gone. If I save as it creates it, save it once... but if I try to immediately "Save" it again I get the same error and it's gone again.

I cleaned out all the old versions of java thinking that might be it but didn't seem to matter. Ran java/maptools as admin, that didn't help. Forced my login to have full access to the rptools directory/save... that didn't help.

I'm hoping someone might have a theory on what's causing them. I can for now just keep "save as" to get around it but I dunno what's up.
Normally, I'd suspect low memory... but it looks like you've assigned a Max Mem in the area of 4gigs. Still, it could be the problem depending on the campaign.

When you save successfully the first time, what does your memory usage spike to (look in the bottom right hand corner)?

If, after the first successful save, you double click the memory meter in the corner (to flush the cache) and try to save again... can you do it?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

celestian
Dragon

Post by celestian »

Full Bleed wrote:
celestian wrote:When I try and save a campaign (or even a token) I'll get an error that Access was denied and/or the file is missing. Sure nuff if you look in the directory it's gone. If I save as it creates it, save it once... but if I try to immediately "Save" it again I get the same error and it's gone again.

Normally, I'd suspect low memory... but it looks like you've assigned a Max Mem in the area of 4gigs. Still, it could be the problem depending on the campaign.

When you save successfully the first time, what does your memory usage spike to (look in the bottom right hand corner)?

If, after the first successful save, you double click the memory meter in the corner (to flush the cache) and try to save again... can you do it?
This is a frustrating issue because now I can't get it to happen to get your information. I have no clue why it's changed either because I didn't change anything far as I could tell. First test I started clearing the cache to see and I've not had an issue since.

I will keep your information in mind if/when it happens again and look. When I check now it's under the cap by a large margin.

Return to “MapTool”