Launch problem

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
notbono
Cave Troll

Launch problem

Post by notbono »

Last night I tried to host a session with my group. We use MapTool whenever I'm GMing, and it's been awhile, so we went through the process of getting everyone to version 1.4, and got most of our players to connect with the right settings. Except one player had difficulties that I couldn't resolve.

He could double click the maptool .jar file, which would launch the program, except of course he needs a larger stack size to run some of my macros. So I tried to walk him through using the launcher .jar. He changed the max mem and stack size settings, but when he clicked the Launch Maptool button, nothing seemed to happen. The log file only had errors from when he launched the program by double clicking the maptool .jar.

I confirmed he had an up to date version of java (1.8.0_73).
I tried writing a batch file with the right parameters. The only thing he needed to enter was the correct path to the maptool .jar file. I got him to drag the batch file into a cmd window, so that he could see any messages if it failed to launch. There were no error messages, but it returned to the prompt instantly. Still not launching.

Now I scheduled an out of game session and will probably do a remote session with something like teamviewer to debug it. What sort of things should I look for, besides the obvious user error (this guy is pretty smart, so there's a good chance he was following instructions correctly.)

taustinoc
Dragon

Re: Launch problem

Post by taustinoc »

What did he change the max memory to? If it's more than about 1400 MB, it could be issues with 32 bit Java (even if he's on 64 bit Windows - you have to jump through hoops to get the 64 bit version). What you describe is consistent with too high a max memory setting.

notbono
Cave Troll

Post by notbono »

We changed it to 2048. So I should check if he has 32 bit Java?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

notbono wrote:We changed it to 2048. So I should check if he has 32 bit Java?
Yeah... this is likely the problem. He needs to uninstall the java he has and *make sure* he downloads and installs the 64 bit java (assuming he is using a 64 bit OS). His browser will default to the 32 bit download at Java.com. Use this link: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

The technical details will make your head hurt, but the short story is, if you go to www.java.com and use the obvious download button, you get 32 bit Java, no matter what operating system you have. Wit 32 bit Java (on Windows), you cannot, under any circumstances, get more than about 1400 MB of memory, and 1200 is far, far safer. 1024 is very reliably safe. If he's on 64 bit Windows, go to www.java.com, follow the link to Free Java Download, and look for the link to "See all Java downloads." towards the bottom. There you can get the 64 bit installer.

Otherwise, go back to 1024 MB for max memory.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

taustinoc wrote:if you go to http://www.java.com and use the obvious download button, you get 32 bit Java, no matter what operating system you have.
FYI, the reason for this is because the vast majority of users are running 32 bit browsers despite the fact that they are using 64 bit operating systems. That's what Java.com is detecting when you go there, so they are offering the 32 version of java that's compatible with your browser.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

notbono
Cave Troll

Post by notbono »

Thanks for the help. 32 bit java removed, 64 bit installed, and now everything works.

Return to “MapTool”