What should I set my memory settings to these days?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Oryan77
Dragon

What should I set my memory settings to these days?

Post by Oryan77 »

I finally got a new laptop after 5 years. It's an Alienware with the following specs:

Windows 8.1 pro (64-bit)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M

I run MT 1.4 locally on an LCD TV. I would like to dedicate the computer on gameday to just running MT so that my very large graphic intensive maps (using a lot of Wolph42's BoT animation features) will run as smooth as possible. I use a lot of lights and VBL, so I want to see how well I can get my maps to run now.

What memory settings (maxmem, minmem, stack size) should I use to get the most out of MT/laptop? Assume I am not running anything else on the computer except for MT. Thanks!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: What should I set my memory settings to these days?

Post by Full Bleed »

Oryan77 wrote:16GB RAM
I run 4096/64/4 (Max/Min/Stack) on my 16 gig system without issue.

Just keep in mind that you're really at the mercy of the weakest link in your gaming group.

But, if I understand you correctly, you mentioned running locally on a TV... so I'm guessing that you're going to be running a server (displayed on laptop?) and client (displayed on TV?) off the same machine? If so, you can assign 4gigs to each instance safely.

Rule of thumb... I wouldn't give MT more than half of your system memory in that setup.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool”