Sudden connection issues - java.net.ConnectException

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
YuriPRIME
Kobold

Sudden connection issues - java.net.ConnectException

Post by YuriPRIME »

Hi, I'm writing in case most dire. Am currently preparing a campaign of Only War with the fabulous framework for 40k games taken from this site, yet for some reason, maptool started to be really iffy about connections.
I'm running Win 7, Maptool 1.4 version, we've been connecting through Hamachi so far, and everything was alright, in fact it was alright up to few hours ago when I was filling a Character Sheet with one of my players, day before we spend hours on the server, testing macros and what not. I played sessions touching nothing and not meddling with any settings.

Today, an hour ago or so, I invited another friend to join the server, via usual means (worth noting he was playing with us from his computer and connection already on same maptool campaign, settings and hamachi network) - no problems until now...
No matter what we tried to alter and how to set up the connection, whenever he tried to connect, that's the message he got:
Could not load campaign. java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
We tried disabling Firewall, I've set up UPnP and forwarded the ports as described in tooltips here or there, but nothing helped. We tried ditching hamachi and connecting through RPtool.net, but the same thing occured (we usually prefer Hamachi since the connections were more stable).
Then, just to be sure it's not an issue on my end, I asked my friend to host a server, and when I tried to connect to him, both via hamachi AND RPtools.net, this time, I got this message.
Worse yet, I called another person from the team to see if it's just issue between us, or will he get the same problem - and indeed, he got the same problem. Regardless if it's hamachi, or RPtools.net, he couldn't connect to me and neither I or my other friend could connect to him, we've been all getting same message:
Could not load campaign. java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
I don't know what to do. It all worked just fine like 3 hours ago, when we last tested the campaign, and there was no issue between anyone.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Sudden connection issues - java.net.ConnectException

Post by Full Bleed »

YuriPRIME wrote:We tried disabling Firewall, I've set up UPnP and forwarded the ports as described in tooltips here or there, but nothing helped. We tried ditching hamachi and connecting through RPtool.net, but the same thing occured (we usually prefer Hamachi since the connections were more stable).
The point of Hamachi is that you don't have to mess with your firewall and ports. And, keep in mind, that you don't "Connect through Rptools"... that's just a sever look-up. You connect to an MT server.

All of that said, given that you very recently had no problems, you may be jumping the gun. Your ISP (or Hamachi) could just be having some issues.

I'd try again later.

Now, if you want to try and troubleshoot getting your own server up and running outside of Hamachi, that would require more information (and if your ISP is having some issues, now wouldn't be the best time to try and get it setup properly).
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool”