Manual memory fix causing crashes

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
KipAfiras
Kobold

Manual memory fix causing crashes

Post by KipAfiras »

One of my players is attempting to install Maptool 1.3.b91 on his Windows 10 computer. We've confirmed that he's running 64 bit java, and the program runs fine using default settings, but our group sometimes uses larger maps that call for a bigger cache to be made available to the machine. As far as I know, he's running a 4 gig RAM setup, and the command prompt I use to override the memory constraints looks like

javaw -d64 -Xmx2048M -Xms64M -Xss4M -jar maptool-1.3.b91.jar run

Which should be a basic setup that forces the program to run 64 bit (-d64), then sets the large stack (-Xmx2048), then small stack (-Xms64M), then cache size (-Xss4M), then runs his java runtime environment.

Any time he uses this batch, Windows asks him to allow Registry Editor to make changes to his computer, then Maptool crashes immediately whether he says yes or no. It's in the standard "Would you like to allow this program to make changes to your computer..." window. Running as administrator doesn't help, and moving the folder to the root directory hasn't helped either, so we're not sure what's causing this, or why only the overrided memory command string is causing issues. I'd welcome any insight on this one, if you guys have it :)

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Manual memory fix causing crashes

Post by Full Bleed »

KipAfiras wrote:Any time he uses this batch, Windows asks him to allow Registry Editor to make changes to his computer, then Maptool crashes immediately whether he says yes or no. It's in the standard "Would you like to allow this program to make changes to your computer..." window. Running as administrator doesn't help, and moving the folder to the root directory hasn't helped either, so we're not sure what's causing this, or why only the overrided memory command string is causing issues. I'd welcome any insight on this one, if you guys have it :)
I'd do a complete reinstall of all relevant programs.

1) Uninstall Java (all java's if he has multiple versions). Go download the latest version (make sure it's the 64 bit offline version).
2) Delete the current MT folder that he's using. Download MT again, to the desktop, and extract there. Leave the extracted folder on the desktop and delete the zip file.
3) Create this .bat file and put it in his MT directory (it's just a text file with the .bat extension). You said you're using b91 so I built the bat file for it:

Code: Select all

set STACK=4M
set MAXMEM=2048M
set JAVA=javaw
set VERS=1.3.b91

start "MapTool" %JAVA% -Xmx%MAXMEM% -Xss%STACK% -DMAPTOOL_DATADIR=c:\temp\mtb91 -jar maptool-%VERS%.jar run
He will run MT using the bat file. When he runs it the first time, he will get a java security prompt... make sure he says "OK".
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool”