Feature requests for 1.4

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
darkeness66
Giant

Feature requests for 1.4

Post by darkeness66 »

I hope this is the right place to put this...

Is it possible to make the chat /emote command a function for 1.4? How hard would this be to implement? It would be rather nice for roleplaying purposes!

Second request: A way to set up a hot key between different tools. This would be especially nice for the pointer tool and measuring tool.

Does anyone know if their was a macro workaround for switching between the pointer & measuring tool? I ask because macros can be hot keyed.

My coding is pretty basic, but if the work involved in either or both of these requests is at a beginners level I will tackle it. I might even be able to tackle it at an intermediate level.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Feature requests for 1.4

Post by Jagged »

What exactly is the /emote supposed to do?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

darkeness66 wrote:I hope this is the right place to put this...

Is it possible to make the chat /emote command a function for 1.4? How hard would this be to implement? It would be rather nice for roleplaying purposes!
Clarification with examples please. :)

Regarding the hot-keys, I suppose hot-keys could be assigned to the tools, but we wouldn't be able to displaying what they are very nicely. Also, there are a lot of tool buttons and so many keys... Maybe a cntrl-tab or something to cycle through the buttons?

I would say adding the key press (and macro's) would be a good beginner task, code is in one place mostly and lots of existing code to just copy from. If you are at all interesting in joining the developer works I highly encourage you to download MT from GitHub and give it a try! Jagged has a great document on setting your Eclipse environment up.
-Jamz

darkeness66
Giant

Post by darkeness66 »

Looking at the list of chat commands it seems like they started back in maptools infancy and many of the more used commands ended up becoming functions. Not that it matters at this point, just an observation from a work-fried brain, lol.

OK, so examples...

Emote: The Wiki says (in part): NOTE: Slash commands will only work correctly in a MapTool macro if they are the first text in the macro. This is not correct (at least for emote) currently it is usable anywhere in a macro as long as it is not inside of a function or roll option
This is true... Only works in the calling macro if you have a string of macro calls.

If I am logged onto maptool as Darkeness66 the chat command would be "/me does something" and would produce
*Darkeness66 does something

To make this a function I would suggest something like [Emote(action, name)]
both action and name would be strings of course, but name should not be limited to a token or player name. That allows for the DM to input both the name of the NPC and it's action on the fly if need be.

I know this might seem minor and in the grand scheme of things it is, but to me it allows for a more polished look in the macro outputs. My issue that brought this request about is a good example. I have spell macros that when used turn gray. Currently when you cast the spell it produces something like this in chat:

Darkeness66: Enemy Wizard casts a spell

How much nicer to see: *Enemy wizard casts a spell

Now I could do this by making the first line of the macro "/me casts a spell", but then you get that emote every time the macro button is clicked because it has to be outside the roll option (check) to see if the macro is gray (and hence unusable).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe a cntrl-tab or something to cycle through the buttons?
That would be great, especially if shift-tab reversed the cycle.
Would each tool activate as it was cycled through or would you hit enter to activate the tool? Would activation of each tool as it was cycled through slow down performance?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dev-team. Having used maptools for so long I would like to give back a bit, but my programing expertise goes back to college (comp prog minor). That was before "C"... I learned using Pascal. That was more years ago than I care to admit :lol: I will try downloading the source code and reading the document, but I don't even know what an "Eclipse environment" is :shock: I am reminded of old dogs and new tricks here, lol

darkeness66
Giant

Post by darkeness66 »

Playing more with /emote. This macro
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (10.12 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
produces this output
Capture 2.JPG
Capture 2.JPG (12.33 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
So you can combine a variable with /emote HOWEVER you can not predefine the variable.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Have you tried using Wiki: broadcast()? I create my own custom outputs and functions around this MT function.

darkeness66
Giant

Post by darkeness66 »

I did try playing with that a few days ago in connection with the /emote command. Just realized there is a nice work around though.

played some more with it just now. I still get the token/player name as part of the output. Any suggestions?
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (14.96 KiB) Viewed 1681 times

darkeness66
Giant

Post by darkeness66 »

off topic: Did you ever get your spell libraries to manage damage and such? I will probably scrub my spell macros and use your library either way.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

darkeness66 wrote:I did try playing with that a few days ago in connection with the /emote command. Just realized there is a nice work around though.

played some more with it just now. I still get the token/player name as part of the output. Any suggestions?
Capture.JPG
you could consider using the message macros from the BoT (link in sig). You have to read the manual (part of the BoT) to get the hang of it, but these functions are especially designed to easily and quickly get nice formatted messages to all or some clients. It makes use of Wiki: broadcast() but has a big shell of extra functionalities and dedicated functions to address specific players.
from the description
[h:bot_message('This is a message', 'This is the header', 'black-white', bot_all(), 'Wolf', 'Prey')]. This will broadcast a formatted message with a header containing both the images of the Wolf and Prey token and the header text and with black background color and white text. I've also included 'user' macros like bot_all(), bot_self(), bot_gm(), etc. that return a json array with the users in question.

darkeness66
Giant

Post by darkeness66 »

Thanks wolph. I will give the BoT another look. I tried using it a long time ago (before the tutorials and while you were still working on it). It had a steep learning curve that I didn't want to deal with at the time. I like a lot of your other material so this may well be the ticket.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Well NOw you can just drag the two tokens into your map , check the manual for the functions and get cracking. Let me know if you get stuck.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

As the macro gods said, there are "work arounds" moving it down the list. But all in all I don't see it being complicated or present any issues.

I use the chat 0% of the time as I play face-to-face so you'll see me usually code VBL or other interface type enhancements. Just my personal preference. I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, but if you want it sooner than later....we always could use more developers... :)
-Jamz

darkeness66
Giant

Post by darkeness66 »

JamzTheMan wrote:....we always could use more developers... :)
lol yep. I will take a look at things this weekend, but no promises yet.

SkyCaptain13
Kobold

Post by SkyCaptain13 »

Bit late... but I just recently got into a D&D 5e campaign using MapTool and came across this problem myself. My solution was to make an emote UDF on a Lib:Token and use [r: broadcast()] to mimic the emote.

Code: Select all

onCampaignLoad: [defineFunction("emote", "emote@Lib:Combat", 0, 0)]
emote: [r: broadcast("<span style='color: green;'>* " + arg(0) + "</span>")]
To use it in a macro...
[r: emote("Enemy wizard casts a spell...")]

Return to “MapTool”