Ever wonder just how many active servers are running?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Craig
Great Wyrm

Ever wonder just how many active servers are running?

Post by Craig »

For those of you that enjoy looking at graphs which contains data that probably doesn't affect you at all.

Here are some graphs detailing the active servers that have registered so other players can find them.

http://maptool.craigs-stuff.net/active-servers/

The data has been collected for a little under a week now which is why some values are not quite right, but that will fix itself with time.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Ever wonder just how many active servers are running?

Post by Jagged »

Very cool.

Although I have to resist the temptation to go and just turn on my server :D

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Nifty.

So if you don't use a RPTools.net Alias it's not counted?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Craig
Great Wyrm

Post by Craig »

Full Bleed wrote:Nifty.

So if you don't use a RPTools.net Alias it's not counted?
Correct, as if you don't use it then the details of your server are not sent to us (they need to be if you do set an alias so we can list you to other people looking in MT :) )

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Craig wrote:Correct, as if you don't use it then the details of your server are not sent to us (they need to be if you do set an alias so we can list you to other people looking in MT :) )
I like that it doesn't automatically ping RPTools without permission (too many other programs are fast and loose with such things)... but I wouldn't be against a pop-up when closing a server to "Report Server Data/Usage" that would send some info for analytics.

It's fun to look at that data and have some measurables for how people are using it.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Even better if responding to the popup gave the user back their stats.
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

RPTroll wrote:Even better if responding to the popup gave the user back their stats.
Yeah, I would totally expect that. Might even want to condition viewing the stat report with sending the analytics to RPTools so more people actually participated.

Question is, what sort of stats could MT give without too much effort? What sorts of data would inspire discussion and viewing of the data? And who would be interested in putting a mod like this together when there are so many other juicy features waiting to be implemented. I just figured I'd mention something while Craig was into the process...

I could think of one thing that would be pretty hilarious... to have MT record every "Critical Hit" (nat 20) in a session and report that. Sure, it's totally meaningless... but it would be a fun marketing number: "Maptool: 1 Billion Critical Hits and Counting!"

;)

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Starting stats:
Uptime
Max Connections
Start/End Time

Rolling Stats
Number of rolls
Deviation from mean (see, the randomizer does work)

An extra variable to report whatever the heck a framework developer wants to report settable via macro
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Heh, cute. :)

Too many colors for me, though. I need an option to compress these down a bit. Maybe group all 1.4.0 together, along with 1.4.1.

Some people just are never happy with what you give them... :D

Return to “MapTool”