A bit of Graphic art help needed

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: A bit of Graphic art help needed

Post by Jagged »

Doh! Got my head so far in the Java at the moment I am forgetting what you can and can't do in script! :lol:

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

So anyone still up to the task of making a bit less graphically challenged bevel images than I did? So better replacements for those I created for the proof ofd concept

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

wolph42 wrote:So anyone still up to the task of making a bit less graphically challenged bevel images than I did? So better replacements for those I created for the proof ofd concept
I'd like to help... I'm fairly certain what you want to do is really easy. I'm just not entirely sure what you want built.

In the example and discussion's above I see a mix of:

1) bevels (edge defined, fixed light direction)
2) shadows (soft edge, non directional)
3) outlines (solid pixel lines)

And, on top of not knowing what graphics you want, I don't know what shapes you need. I know you've built the code for the application, so you must have this information. What I think would work is less important than what you need for this project.

Can you sketch this stuff out on paper or something?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I need the PoC images posted on the former page (edit: in the post below this one!!).
What is important:
1. the position of the DS/Bevel on the entire tile (e.g. straight bevel in the middle at that spot)
2. the size of the bevel (I've attached VBL AFTER the bevel so if you make it larger then it interferes with the VBL).

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

The biggest issue I have with my proof of concept tiles is that they're butt ugly as soon as I use textured walls:
Schermafdruk 2016-05-25 14.09.25.png
Schermafdruk 2016-05-25 14.09.25.png (936.05 KiB) Viewed 539 times
here the PoC images again
I've added one new which came up during testing. This one can however be derived from an existing one.
and here with background so you can see how they fit in a tile:
1x2
1x1
2x2
1x1

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

wolph42 wrote:The biggest issue I have with my proof of concept tiles is that they're butt ugly as soon as I use textured walls
Unfortunately, I still need more technical details. Are there specific pixel dimensions of the tiles and the areas that can be painted?
1. the position of the DS/Bevel on the entire tile (e.g. straight bevel in the middle at that spot)
2. the size of the bevel (I've attached VBL AFTER the bevel so if you make it larger then it interferes with the VBL).
For example does the above mean:

The 1x2 tile is 50x100, with a 3 pixel bevel (50 pixels wide, centered in the tile across the short side), and a 10 pixel (one sided) shadow?

Or can someone produce a 150x300 image with a 9 pixel bevel (150 pixels wide, centered in the tile across the short side), and a 30/60 pixel (one sided) shadow? Will that scale accordingly or not?
Attachments
1x2 gray bevel and shadow 150x300px - 60px shadow.png
1x2 gray bevel and shadow 150x300px - 60px shadow.png (1.35 KiB) Viewed 531 times
1x2 gray bevel and shadow 150x300px.png
1x2 gray bevel and shadow 150x300px.png (1.35 KiB) Viewed 532 times
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Good questions!

Ideally 3 versions 50,100 and 150px grid. The example given here are 50px only. The other two types have to scale accordingly. So In case of the 50px the examples are 50x50, 50x100 and 100x100 px. In case is the 100px gross you have to double the dimensions.
The pixel length of the dropshadow is not important as its always inside. The bevel however is and should be limited to the same dimensions as the examples.

If you have additional questions don't hesitate to ask

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

update on this.

After finishing stage 1 of the new dungeon builder (DB3) I've continued with the next stage (scaling) and was rather surprised that I concluded that stage in roughly an hour (instead of weeks). This stage lets you scale the the dungeon to 1x1,2x2,3x3 or 4x4 grid cells per 'unit'. In stage one I build the generator 1 to 1 so one unit meant one grid cell on the Map. Scaling means that I copy paste larger tokens and stretch the coordinates accordingly. Basically this means that in case of e.g. a 3x3: a 1 grid cell wide hallway is now 3 cells wide and 3 times as long.

To do this I require corresponding building tiles. So where I originally asked for the 'bevel tiles' being 50x50, 50x100 and 100x100 I now also need scaled up versions. I *did* already ask this for hig resolution grids (100 and 150px) and obviously they overlap but given that I want to work on three types px size grid and have 4 size types (larger could be possible but gets a bit ridiculous). I thus require:
for 1x1 50x, 100px, 150px images
for 2x2 100, 200, 300px images
for 3x3 150, 300, 450px images
for 4x4 200, 400, 600px images.

Obviously these overlap, but you still end up with 50px, 100px, 150px, 200px, 300px, 450px, 400px, 600px versions of the bevel images. Now the tricky part is that you cannot simply scale these in e.g. PS. especially the corner bevel with corner shadow (the 2x2 among the original examples I posted earlier) this image fits exactly on 4 gridcells where the shadow falls ONLY in one gridcell and the bevel also on one only. If you e.g. simply scale this image up from 50px to 100px both the shadow and bevel starts to bleed over the middle lines (which should not happen).

Naming convention (I would severely appreciate it if a naming convention can be used for the images, making it easier to import them):
Bevel with horizontal edge (1x2): BevelEH
Bevel with vertical edge (2x1): BevelEV
Inner corner (1x1): BevelIC
Outer corner with DS (2x2): BevelOC
Inn corner without DS (1x1): BevelOCnDS
(DS = Dropshadow)
Followed by the pixel size for for there pixel version:
- a 50px version of the BevelEH (1x2) is thus called BevelEH50
- a 600px version of the the BevelOC (2x2 tile) is thus called BevelOC600 (even though the tile itself is 1200x1200px).

I hope this is clear and I moreover hope that someone actually picks this up.

Similar but simpler request for seamless wall and floor textures! For these I would require 50px, 100px, 150px, 200px, 300px, 450px, 400px, 600px versions. With a similar naming convention:
e.g. Wall450 and Floor600px The images would always be exactly that size so a Floor100 is a seamless floor texture that is 100x100px

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

wolph42 wrote:I hope this is clear and I moreover hope that someone actually picks this up.
I'm still not sure that what you want has sufficient wiggle room for people to do much more than make a 3 pixel wall line with a higher resolution fade. Making a native, higher resolution version, may provide for a more attractive shadow... but what can anyone do with a 3 pixel width wall line?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Full Bleed wrote:
wolph42 wrote:I hope this is clear and I moreover hope that someone actually picks this up.
I'm still not sure that what you want has sufficient wiggle room for people to do much more than make a 3 pixel wall line with a higher resolution fade. Making a native, higher resolution version, may provide for a more attractive shadow... but what can anyone do with a 3 pixel width wall line?
fair point! As I need to do the VBL over anyway AND jamz is working on an entirely different vbl system I guess it doesnt really matter anymore. What *does* matter are the boundary sizes of the tiles (so 50x50px, 50x100px etc) and that the border between DS and Bevel is *exactly* in the middle.

I also would suggest you first make a (high resolution) example so I can test it and we can discuss that instead.

edit: note that I do need a full set else I cant test it.

Return to “MapTool”