Web-Cam Plugin

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
captainsinith
Kobold

Web-Cam Plugin

Post by captainsinith »

Now-a-days everybody has a web-cam. Even if voice is not used; web-cam plugin could be really cool for bonding as a group as well as bringing the table-top aspects to the virtual. This is already a freakin' amazing program, and well programmed too. Impressive.

I know that I would love to play in a game where it's all text, but there is web-cams so players can do things like roll real dice on cam, write on a piece of paper of something witty and show it on cam, and all types of things.

I know most would say just use a third party program like skype, teamspeak or ventrilo, etc -- but all-is-one software is much more awesome.

So just a thought.

Rock on,
CS
Currently recruiting for campaign: Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: Web-Cam Plugin

Post by JamzTheMan »

We've talked about it and although it would be very cool, I doubt we could offer something as stable and feature rich as the third party tools. Unless an opensource library becomes available that made it easy to plug this in, I believe we'll be spending our time on other features.
-Jamz

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Web-Cam Plugin

Post by Full Bleed »

JamzTheMan wrote:I doubt we could offer something as stable and feature rich as the third party tools.
Which, btw, varies quite a bit.

For example, my groups usually use Oovoo for our game video conferencing. But I've got one player now that can't stay connected to Oovoo for more than a minute or two before losing signal and getting kicked. We have to use Google Hangouts when he plays. It's much more forgiving. As is Maptool, for that matter. MT never drops his connection... Hangouts occasionally hangs a bit when he's talking... Oovoo just kicks him. So, in short, I'd actually hate to see MT become less stable because it was trying to manage video conferencing, too.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool”