Old School Rules!

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Jagged
Great Wyrm

Old School Rules!

Post by Jagged »

I am seeing a lot of hype for old school gaming at the moment and I must admit I have always loved the simple and clean style of old school maps. Whether it was the old TSR blue maps or the hand drawn hatching. So I thought I would use the new Draw Explorer feature to see if I could quickly draw some old school style maps!

Using Gimp I quickly knocked up a free-hand hatch texture. I made a few mistakes here, I think the hatching is too small and for the love of $deity why didn't I make the texture transparent? *shrug*

However, the idea is that I can now draw a simple dungeon using black outline (set to 6px) and white fill. Then I can draw round the dungeon using the hatch texture. Obviously this completely hides the dungeon I have just drawn, but with the Draw Explorer it is a matter of moments to move the hatching texture to the bottom.

1. Draw the rooms
os1.jpg
os1.jpg (8.48 KiB) Viewed 492 times
2. Draw over them completely with the hatch texture
os2.jpg
os2.jpg (52.95 KiB) Viewed 492 times
3. Move the hatch texture to the back. Jobs a goodun! :mrgreen:
os3.jpg
os3.jpg (36.19 KiB) Viewed 492 times
Another example:
oldSkool.jpg
oldSkool.jpg (94.24 KiB) Viewed 492 times
Here's the texture I used but I am sure someone can come up with better!
ostest.png
ostest.png (137.93 KiB) Viewed 492 times

dorpond
RPTools Team

Re: Old School Rules!

Post by dorpond »

I love it!

Hey, whatever textures you end up with, we should package them up in Maptool.

Or I suppose we could make a downloadable Map Pack, if you get a bunch of stuff to complement this mapping style.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Re: Old School Rules!

Post by Jagged »

I should add that this was actually built using the latest Dev build. Which gives you the ability to merge drawings. So I built the dungeon above just by drawing loads of rectangles and then merging them into one.

Return to “MapTool”