Launched MT will not autolog chat [resolved]

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
taustinoc
Dragon

Re: Launched MT will not autolog chat

Post by taustinoc »

wolph42 wrote:
Glitch(TMG) wrote:
wolph42 wrote:thnx, I've passed it on.

And may I thus assume that your problem has been fixed??
...Uh, I'm the one who's having the problem, not taustinoc...
my apologies. But as Taustinoc explains what he did and what the outcome is, it appears that your problem has been resolved in the Dev version.
Only if that was the problem to begin with. If it's something specific to his configuration, odds are, it's still there.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Glitch(TMG) wrote:I'm looking at the launcher (1.3b91), and I don't know what you're talking about (Or at least, I'm not seeing anything that matches what you're saying). Can you show me what you mean with specified versions, cropped screenshots, and drawn arrows/boxes?
Follow Full Bleed's instructions on moving the data directory. That will determine if I'm right.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I've been testing with 1.4.0.1.

Using all the setting as the default launcher settings, setting the chat log to auto save every minute and stopping and starting the server a few times.

As of yet I have been unable to reproduce the problem.

Glitch(TMG)
Cave Troll

Re: Launched MT will not autolog chat [resolved]

Post by Glitch(TMG) »

wolph42 wrote:my apologies. But as Taustinoc explains what he did and what the outcome is, it appears that your problem has been resolved in the Dev version.
...that still doesn't help me...

Full Bleed wrote:I've now gone back to b91 and found that I *can't* reproduce this issue.

It works fine for me (i.e the chatlog creates, saves, and stays if I set a time on the save). So, something else is at play for you.

When using the launcher, click on the Advanced tab, and insert the following text into the box that says "insert java arguments here":

Code: Select all

-DMAPTOOL_DATADIR=c:\temp\mtb91
Accept security exceptions if they are asked. That will move your data directory to your root drive and should remove any weird permission's issues.

Go set your chatlog save to 2 minutes and then go to the C:\temp\mtb91\autosave folder and see if things are working as they should.
Alright, trying that.

Well, tried, and still no new chatlogs. Though that might have something to do with the fact that I don't even have a "temp" folder in my top C directory in the first place. Doesn't exist.

taustinoc wrote:Only if that was the problem to begin with. If it's something specific to his configuration, odds are, it's still there.
taustinoc wrote:Follow Full Bleed's instructions on moving the data directory. That will determine if I'm right.
Jagged wrote:I've been testing with 1.4.0.1.

Using all the setting as the default launcher settings, setting the chat log to auto save every minute and stopping and starting the server a few times.

As of yet I have been unable to reproduce the problem.
Indeed, as no one else is having this problem, this is looking more and more like some kind of configuration error on my end.

Hmm, just thought of something else to try.

Okay. I am an idiot. Mostly for not thinking of this myself earlier to avoid wasting everyone's time :oops: :oops: :oops:

Just tried booting MT with the launcher again, and this time, while MT was open, I typed in a nonsense word that couldn't possibly appear anywhere else in my computer, waited for the save interval to pass, and closed down MT. I then ran a search program on my entire hard drive for any file containing the nonsense word. Found it. Along with all the previous "missing" logs when I tried booting MT through the launcher earlier.

The problem, and why I didn't see them? The launched MT chatlogs aren't getting saved to C:\Users\[username]\.maptool\autosave (which is where I've got a shortcut on my desktop going straight to), they're getting saved to C:\.maptool\autosave , not even in the user\username subdirectory, and I rarely ever have a reason to look at my top-level C folder so I didn't see that there.

So, um...

yeah.

I can live with this if I have to, but is there any way I can tell launched MT to start sticking autosaved chatlogs back in the C:\Users\[username]\.maptool\autosave filepath? :oops:

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Glitch(TMG) wrote:Well, tried, and still no new chatlogs. Though that might have something to do with the fact that I don't even have a "temp" folder in my top C directory in the first place. Doesn't exist.
You could have created one manually... ;)
I can live with this if I have to, but is there any way I can tell launched MT to start sticking autosaved chatlogs back in the C:\Users\[username]\.maptool\autosave filepath? :oops:
You can use the same method I mentioned above to set the data directory where you want it.

Something like:

-DMAPTOOL_DATADIR=c:\Users\[username]\.maptool

You might want to clear out that path completely and have it rebuild all the folders.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Glad you found them :mrgreen:

Return to “MapTool”