Uzipping Maptool Correctly for Launch

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Sereptus
Giant

Uzipping Maptool Correctly for Launch

Post by Sereptus »

Make sure your ZIP tool is working correctly and putting files where they are supposed to go when unzipping any version of Maptool. I could not launch Maptool after returning to the game after a short hiatus. I scoured the forums for two days without asking for help (I'm stubborn like that) trying all suggestions for launching Maptool, uninstalling java, reinstalling, etc, etc, then when I watched AlaisMask's video on making a shortcut for MT launcher I noticed how he didn't have a huge list of files after the folders like I did after unzipping MT. So if your unzipped folder looks like this -
Spoiler
Not good.jpg
Not good.jpg (69.71 KiB) Viewed 489 times
Then you won't be able to launch Maptool. I used 7Zip and the above example was what I kept getting, I don't know if 7zip has changed or I have my settings for that utility set up incorrectly but I downloaded WinZip and it extracted the files into their proper folders and BOOM! no problems with any versions of Maptool working properly! After unzipping your folder contents should look like this-
Spoiler
Good.jpg
Good.jpg (96.6 KiB) Viewed 486 times
I haven't seen this topic addressed before and I suspect it may have caused a lot of keyboard headbanging in the past.
OOOHH RegEx....YOU BITTER-SWEET BEAST!!!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Uzipping Maptool Correctly for Launch

Post by wolph42 »

thats pretty funky. It appears that in the first instance the .jar files were all extracted.

Anyway, with the new jwrapper comming along in 1.4.2 this issue will be void.

Mrugnak
Dragon

Re: Uzipping Maptool Correctly for Launch

Post by Mrugnak »

Sereptus wrote:I don't know if 7zip has changed or I have my settings for that utility set up incorrectly
Short answer, you have your settings set up incorrectly. Winzip, Winrar, and most other unzipping programs can get into this state as well, if you accidentally tick the wrong box or pick the wrong dropdown. I had to fix this problem regularly when I worked phone support :sigh:

In 7Zip, when you extract you get a popup window asking a bunch of stuff. One of the options is "Path Mode". You almost always want it set to "full pathnames" - "No pathnames" dumps everything in one folder, ignoring all the subfolders set up in the zip file. There's similar settings in other extractors. Command line extractors have this as a command-line argument.

The JARs got unpacked because they're just more zip files, really. And zip files are folders so it just kept unpacking and flattening and unpacking and flattening and... yeah.

Return to “MapTool”