MT will no longer save any of my campaign files.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Oryan77
Dragon

MT will no longer save any of my campaign files.

Post by Oryan77 »

I've been working on the same campaign file for months. I have been making changes to my maps all day today and saving often. I took a break to eat some dinner, came back to the computer, made some more changes to a map, and now when I save I get these messages:
Maptool error.jpg
Maptool error.jpg (151.29 KiB) Viewed 602 times
I have not changed anything on my computer or MT settings since I last saved the file a few hours ago. I rebooted and I tried saving other maps and MT will no longer save any of my files. I can export maps, so I managed to export the maps I was working on. I just can't save my campaign files.

I'm using MT 1.4.0
Windows 8.1
Java 8 Update 73

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: MT will no longer save any of my campaign files.

Post by wolph42 »

Sounds like a permission issue. That is nWindows ot letting you save. Anyway, let's start with the most important one: do you create backups? If not /smack over the head/ do so now!
As for your issue: try deleting your .maptool dir in c:/users/username and also clean your disc. Right mouse click on c: and somewhere in that context menu you find the tool to clean it.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

wolph42 wrote:As for your issue: try deleting your .maptool dir in c:/users/username
This will most likely fix your problem... but it begs the question why you got that corruption in the first place.

I'd defrag your HD and run some SMART tests on it just to be safe.

I'd also check on how much wiggle room you've got with your current memory settings. We know that low memory conditions can cause various issues. What memory settings are you using and what sort of memory usage are you seeing after working on the campaign (in particular, the map you were working on when the error first appeared) for hours without closing MT?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

I have 16gb RAM on a 6 month old Alienware gaming laptop. I use it for video editing and don't have any games installed.

Per your guys suggestion, I am running MT using 2048, default, and 4 memory settings. I have seen no issues with memory since working with MT even when it has been loaded for hours at a time.

Last night was the first problem I have had.

I just now deleted the .maptool folder and now when I launch MT, it does not even load. It begins to load java and rather than the interface with green grass showing, the MT screen is blocked out with a white box over a black background (I see no MT buttons/menues/interface). It's as if it crashes before even loading. No error messages either. I have to use Task Manager to close out the java session that was trying to load MT.

I have not tried cleaning the drive, so I will do that next. But now I am concerned. I did however make a backup of the .maptool folder. And yes, I have backups of all of my campaign files. :P

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Are you starting MapTool with the launcher or directly with the MapTool .jar file? If the launcher, is the launcher or MT itself crashing?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

this really sounds like some stuff is corrupted. as fullbleed said, check your discs. as for maptool, remove the install, download it again and reinstall. if that fails rinse and repeat but now with java itself

Oryan77
Dragon

Post by Oryan77 »

Well I did an error checking disk check on the C:/ drive and rebooted. Then I reloaded the latest version of MT and that seemed to do the trick. Something in the .maptool was definitely corrupt and causing all kinds of hell.

Thanks for the help as always!
taustinoc wrote:Are you starting MapTool with the launcher or directly with the MapTool .jar file? If the launcher, is the launcher or MT itself crashing?
That's a whole other issue. I have not been able to get the launcher to work with MT since I got this new laptop. I posted here for help but the issue seemed to stump everyone involved. I did however find a launcher created by a user named Clyde that actually worked, so I gave up trying to get the launcher working.

Although with Clyde's launcher, I still have to edit the file in notepad to change my memory settings and it leaves a DOS command looking screen open which I have to manually close out once MT loads, which sucks. But at least it loads MT.

Return to “MapTool”