Can't stay connected

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Beroli
Kobold

Can't stay connected

Post by Beroli »

One of my players, each week, seems able to stay connected, more or less (sometimes he disconnects temporarily during that time), for a little over 2 hours. Then he gets disconnected and can't reconnect any further that night at all. He's using Windows 10. Other players can stay connected. What could be causing this and what can we do about it?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Can't stay connected

Post by aliasmask »

Bad java version, bad memory settings or just a bad connection; something with high packet loss like a satellite connection or wifi connection with low bars.

Assuming he has a semi-recent computer he should have java 8 64bit version installed. This can only be down with the manual download, not the big button they provide you. There's a small link on the page that says "all version" or something like that. Then there are the memory settings. Hopefully, you're using at least b91, but I recommend the most recent version of MapTool. You should also be using the launcher and not the maptool.jar to start MapTool. The settings should be 2048 max mem and 3 or 4 for stack size.

notbono
Cave Troll

Re: Can't stay connected

Post by notbono »

When he could no longer connect at all, was he getting any message? Sometimes when a player gets dropped, the server doesn't register the change. The GM has to boot it from the connection window before the player can log back in. Otherwise the player might see a message that they are already connected. This happens to some of my players sometimes.

Return to “MapTool”