Odd glitch with Maptool

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Envyus
Cave Troll

Odd glitch with Maptool

Post by Envyus »

I got a new computer and I have learned that an odd glitch happens with Maptool on it.

This happens any time I try to edit something. After which the program goes crazy as I move around my mouse. It does not freeze or anything but it's really annoying. Any idea how to fix it.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Odd glitch with Maptool

Post by aliasmask »

Perhaps a memory setting. How do you start MT, what version are you using, what settings are you using, what version of java are you using and is it 64bit?

Envyus
Cave Troll

Post by Envyus »

aliasmask wrote:Perhaps a memory setting. How do you start MT, what version are you using, what settings are you using, what version of java are you using and is it 64bit?
I start from the launcher. I was using the 14 .0 version. I am using the most recent Java and I should check if it 64 bit.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Settings should not be using the default. I recommend 2048 for max and 3 for stack. Min can be default.

Envyus
Cave Troll

Post by Envyus »

aliasmask wrote:Settings should not be using the default. I recommend 2048 for max and 3 for stack. Min can be default.
Tried this. It won't start if I use 2048 for max. I can get around the 1200 area but not to 2000.

I also changed my Maptool version to the most recent one but it did not change anything.

I have no idea how to see if my Java is 64 bit or not.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

If you went to java.com and used the big red button to install Java, you have 32 bit Java, regardless of whether or not you have a 64 bit operating system. You have to follow the link to "See all Java downloads." towards the bottom to get "Windows Offline (64-bit)".

What you describe sounds like 32 bit Java.

Envyus
Cave Troll

Post by Envyus »

taustinoc wrote:If you went to java.com and used the big red button to install Java, you have 32 bit Java, regardless of whether or not you have a 64 bit operating system. You have to follow the link to "See all Java downloads." towards the bottom to get "Windows Offline (64-bit)".

What you describe sounds like 32 bit Java.
K I have both now. I tried to use it with the 64 bit version but it did not fix it.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

If you can't get above 1200 then that suggests you are running 32 bit.

I would double check the versions you have installed. See if you have some sneaky hidden versions somewhere. You can try opening a command window and run the following :

java -version

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I've seen these kind of issues before. They're usually not memory related, but graphic card related. Check the drivers and see whether there's an update (of course also make sure you have j64 and have good memory settings, as said, with j64 something like 2048 maxmem and stack 4. Dont touch min mem!).

Envyus
Cave Troll

Post by Envyus »

wolph42 wrote:I've seen these kind of issues before. They're usually not memory related, but graphic card related. Check the drivers and see whether there's an update (of course also make sure you have j64 and have good memory settings, as said, with j64 something like 2048 maxmem and stack 4. Dont touch min mem!).
Ok I got this working. And am pretty sure I am using 64 as I used 2048 max But the graphic glitch still happened.

I think my drivers are up to date how should I check. (I know my Nvida stuff is.)

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Envyus wrote:I think my drivers are up to date how should I check. (I know my Nvida stuff is.)
It is almost certainly a graphics driver issue.

Since you mentioned that you are using an Nvidia card go to Nvidia.com and make sure you have the latest drivers.

If that does not fix the problem, roll back to an older driver. There may be a problem with the latest (especially if you're running a beta or uncertified version).
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Envyus
Cave Troll

Post by Envyus »

Full Bleed wrote:
Envyus wrote:I think my drivers are up to date how should I check. (I know my Nvida stuff is.)
It is almost certainly a graphics driver issue.

Since you mentioned that you are using an Nvidia card go to Nvidia.com and make sure you have the latest drivers.

If that does not fix the problem, roll back to an older driver. There may be a problem with the latest (especially if you're running a beta or uncertified version).
K I will try rolling back. This odd as I had never had this problem with my old computer.

Envyus
Cave Troll

Post by Envyus »

Ughh Rolling back did nothing.

Is there anything I should tell you for you to get a better picture of how to fix this.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

i don't think we can be of much more help, but you can always post the debug info here. Its under the help menu.

Envyus
Cave Troll

Post by Envyus »

wolph42 wrote:i don't think we can be of much more help, but you can always post the debug info here. Its under the help menu.
Here
Spoiler
==== MapTool Information ====
MapTool Version: 1.4.0.5
MapTool Home...: ..\..\..\.maptool
Max mem avail..: 1,820M
Max mem used...: 100M
Custom Property: -DMAPTOOL_DATADIR=..\..\..\.maptool

==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\64
Java Version: 1.8.0_91
Result of executing 'java -version':
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_91-b15)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.91-b15, mixed mode)

==== OS Information ====
OS Name........: Windows 10
OS Version.....: 10.0
OS Architecture: amd64
PATH...........: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\64\bin;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\;.
Number of Procs: 4

==== User Information ====
User Name: Clinton's PC
User Home: C:\Users\Clinton's PC
User Dir.: C:\Users\Clinton's PC\Desktop\maptools\maptool

==== Network Interfaces ====
Display Name..: Software Loopback Interface 1
Interface Name: lo
Address...: 127.0.0.1
Address...: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

Display Name..: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
Interface Name: wlan0