Odd glitch with Maptool

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Envyus
Cave Troll

Re: Odd glitch with Maptool

Post by Envyus »

Ok it's not the Nvida card that is the problem. As after removing it I started Map tool and had the exact same problem.

How did I find out what my intergrated Graphics is as I think that may indeed be the problem.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Depending on the motherboard, you may be able to disable the integrated card in the bios. If you have the drivers installed for that card you may want to uninstall before disabling in the bios.

Envyus
Cave Troll

Post by Envyus »

aliasmask wrote:Depending on the motherboard, you may be able to disable the integrated card in the bios. If you have the drivers installed for that card you may want to uninstall before disabling in the bios.
The thing is until I went to disable my Nvida I had no idea I had an integrated Card. I don't know how I would I go about this.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

When you turn on the computer, there is some stuff that appears on the screen. There will probably be a note to the effect of "Press <F12> for setup" or "Press <F12> for BIOS" (or, if it's a new computer, likely UEFI) or something along those lines. It will scroll by quickly, so pay close attention. If it's a brand name computer (like Dell or HP), you can probably find the correct key to press from Google. If not, you need to know what the make and model of the motherboard is, or catch it on the boot screens.

That will get you to the hardware set up, where you can do things like disable the integrated video. Be very, very careful there, as you can make changes that will keep the computer from booting, or degrade performance in running high end games. (There is a way to reset the BIOS to the factory settings, but if this computer was set up to run computer games that need high frame rates, etc., it may not be on default settings now. So be very, very careful.)

Envyus
Cave Troll

Post by Envyus »

I don't really want to try that yet. Is there a way to detect my integrated graphics.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Envyus wrote:I don't really want to try that yet. Is there a way to detect my integrated graphics.
If you've removed your graphics card you're using the integrated graphics card.

Right click on the windows start button and select Display Adapters. You will see what card you're using.

At any rate, disabling the card in your boot BIOS is what you're going to need to do to eliminate it as a possible problem. That said, it's probably set for something like "Auto Detect" where it's not on if you have another active card in the system... so I'm not sure it has anything to do with anything... unless you've been using it the whole time.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

If you know what motherboard you have, I will Google it :mrgreen:

I see others are already on the case, that is the disadvantage of replying using your phone ;)

Envyus
Cave Troll

Post by Envyus »

Full Bleed wrote:
Envyus wrote:I don't really want to try that yet. Is there a way to detect my integrated graphics.
If you've removed your graphics card you're using the integrated graphics card.

Right click on the windows start button and select Display Adapters. You will see what card you're using.

At any rate, disabling the card in your boot BIOS is what you're going to need to do to eliminate it as a possible problem. That said, it's probably set for something like "Auto Detect" where it's not on if you have another active card in the system... so I'm not sure it has anything to do with anything... unless you've been using it the whole time.
I don't see an option for Display Adapters. Unless I go under Device Manager. Under that my Nvidia Card is the only thing.

This is all a confusing mess.

Uggh I don't know whats wrong or how to fix it. :(

Envyus
Cave Troll

Post by Envyus »

System Summary might help. Appearntly motherboard and baseboard are the same thing.
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.10586 Build 10586
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DESKTOP-PJ81F81
System Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
System Model MS-B09011
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Default string
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2712 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 8.40, 2016-01-20
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Canada
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.10586.420"
User Name DESKTOP-PJ81F81\Clinton's PC
Time Zone Mountain Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.95 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.05 GB
Total Virtual Memory 12.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.98 GB
Page File Space 4.75 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Envyus wrote:I don't see an option for Display Adapters. Unless I go under Device Manager. Under that my Nvidia Card is the only thing.

This is all a confusing mess.

Uggh I don't know whats wrong or how to fix it. :(
Ok it's not the Nvida card that is the problem. As after removing it I started Map tool and had the exact same problem.

How did I find out what my intergrated Graphics is as I think that may indeed be the problem.
Yes it's confusing, in part because I feel like we're getting conflicting information.

You said you "removed your graphics card". There is no way you're seeing it in the Device Manager if you did.

If you remove your graphics card, that made us think that you were *now* using on-board/integrated graphics.

Do you even have a graphics card? Or are you plugging your monitors into ports that are a part of the motherboard (i.e. using the integrated graphics)?

What did you mean when you said you "removed" the Nvidia card?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

I find the memory values worrying.

8 physical but only 3 available? Is that a Windows 10 thing?

I am inclined to think that previously your nvida card was not installed correctly and perhaps the on-board card was/is eating into available memory.

Unless you were running an application that needed 5G?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Jagged wrote:I find the memory values worrying.

8 physical but only 3 available? Is that a Windows 10 thing?

I am inclined to think that previously your nvida card was not installed correctly and perhaps the on-board card was/is eating into available memory.

Unless you were running an application that needed 5G?
Not too worried about that. Using 4.9 of 16 on my computer with very little running (half of that seems like it might be cache or something). Windows processes are less than 500m. I'm using 2 gig in Firefox and MT.

And if he is using an integrated graphics card it might be using a couple gigs* of system memory as well (depending on the card).

*Edit to fix syntax... megs... gigs... all the same! ;) Caught it on the quote below. :oops:
Last edited by Full Bleed on Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Full Bleed wrote: And if he is using an integrated graphics card it might be using a couple megs of system memory as well (depending on the card).
That's what I was suggesting. I don't think he had taken the nvida card out at the stage he took those readings. So if the nvida card was plugged in and the memory was still being eaten, then it can't be disabled.

Envyus
Cave Troll

Post by Envyus »

Oh I just uninstalled the Nvidia stuff. I did not actually remove the card from my computer.

Envyus
Cave Troll

Post by Envyus »

Uhhh. And it appears to have magically fixed itself. Nothing is going wrong with maptool right now. But I am not going to celebrate yet.

Return to “MapTool”