Odd glitch with Maptool

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Azhrei
Site Admin

Re: Odd glitch with Maptool

Post by Azhrei »

The OP's issues are graphics driver related. I'm about 99% sure of that.

I would suggest opening the configuration utility of the video card and turning off all accelerations. If that corrects the issue, you can start turning them back on, one at a time, until the problem returns. Then you'll know which one is the problem.

It's complicated though, because sometimes it's a combination of options that can cause the problem.

Java also has some settings so you can tell it to turn off some graphic accelerations when you know your video card's driver has bugs in it (which is surprising common). I think the latest versions of the launcher include those settings as checkboxes, but there's a spot in the launcher where you can put arbitrary options on the command line and you can include others.

RevenantBob
Cave Troll

Post by RevenantBob »

Alright, I found a solution to this issue. Not THE solution.

Essentially someone had similar graphical artifacts switching form Java 7 to Java 8 on an unrelated app. By setting J2D_D3D to false they were able to fix it. I had my friend try it and has not had the issue since.

It seems a bug in Java with Direct3D used for 2D.

More info on the setting can be found here:

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/t ... s.html#d3d

I'm a C++ developer, not a Java developer. So I can't tell you why disabling D3D fixes this in Java, but they seem to use it wrong.

Paul H
Kobold

Post by Paul H »

Hi

Have had serious issues with the graphics, too.

Issues are graphic panes overwriting each other, corrupting buttons etc. Making software almost unusable.

1) Was using 2gb AMD onboard graphics card. Cleared MapTools Registry, Uninstalled/Reinstalled both Java & Maptools.

2) Bought new 4gb Sapphire Radeon R7 240 card. Again, unistalled/reinstalled Java etc. Uploaded latest Radeon drivers. Still getting graphic issues.

Please note there were absolutely NO problems before I upgraded under Maptools vs 3.

Thanks
Paul H

Jaxom
Kobold

Post by Jaxom »

I started having problems when I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 on a HP Pavillion G Series laptop, whenever editing the properties of a token or right-click on a token to change something, menus and dialog boxes would start duplicating themselves all over the screen.

I tried updating video drivers, clearing the Maptool folders, and uninstalling and reinstalling various versions of Java.

Today I started the Maptool Launcher, set Max memory to 2048, Min to Default, and Stack to 3. I then went to the Advanced tab and clicked the Java Version button and made sure it was looking in the following folder for the 64 bit version "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_101\bin".

I could have swore that I had tried this a few weeks ago and didn't have any luck, but today it appears to be working fine.

I had some Windows updates today along with an AMD Catalyst update. From what I can find out, I checked the driver and the Catalyst software version numbers and they hadn't changed... I had them written down when I was searching for updated drivers. Going to AMD's site, the new drivers don't support my particular video card which is a Radeon HD 6520G.

The only other thing that changed system wise earlier today I uninstalled "Bitdefender Total Security 2016" (due to license renewal) and installed the "Bitdefender Free" version instead.

Paul H
Kobold

Post by Paul H »

Hi

Tried changing memory & stack size as suggested, but MapTools wouldn't even launch.

Using version 1.4.05 if that helps.

Thanks
Paul H

Jaxom
Kobold

Post by Jaxom »

I'm using the same Maptool version.

Have you tried going to the Advanced Tab of the Launcher and Manually pointing it to the Java folder?

Paul H
Kobold

Post by Paul H »

Hi

Graphic corruption is so bad I can ONLY move my token around a map. Even then, the loading screens are themselves corrupted.

1) I cannot create characters.
2) I cannot edit characters
3) I cannot access campaign buttons

In short - the program is currently unusable and the corruptions getting worse. I may have to give up online gaming altogether (except when someone runs Roll20, which actually works)

So far I've:
1) Checked for viruses
2) Updated my graphics drivers
3) Bought a new graphic card (and updated drivers)
4) Uninstalled/reinstalled both Java & Maptools
5) Updated/changed versions of Java & MapTools
6) Installed the "Windows Offline" version of Java for 64 bit machines
7) Gone back to earlier version of Windows, but it would only give me Win 7/8 and STILL wouldn't work!

The corruptions only happen with MapTools, absolutely NOTHING else! So I know it's a Maptools problem. Could be a Windows 10/Maptools clash?

If a RPTools techie can contact me direct, I'd appreciate it.

Very disgruntled
Paul H

Note: other players in my games don't have this issue

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Can you share your campaign file?

Paul H
Kobold

Post by Paul H »

Hi

VERY helpful friend online sorted out the problem by writing a short script, He should be posting it shortly

MapTools working perfectly now

Thanks
Paul H

Drakol
Kobold

Post by Drakol »

I helped my friend, Paul H, fix this with the help of an old thread on the forum.
Spoiler
I edited a .bat file that will help people fix this issue if they have Radeon Graphics Cards, it was theorized by us that the reason is a conflict of DirectX options. This will help some people with black windows or windows dragging over each other due to compatibility with Java/AMD/Radeon options.

The coding is :
Spoiler
set VERS=1.4.0.5
javaw -Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false -Xmx1024M -Xss4096K -jar maptool-%VERS%.jar run
Also while Editing, change the "set VERS=1.4.0.5" to whatever Version your Maptools is.

"Xmx1024M" can be changed to set the Java Max Memory. (This is 1 mb)
"Xss4096K" can be changed to set the Java Stack Size. (This is 4 mb in kilobytes)

Otherwise after editing, place the .bat into your Maptools folder next to your "launcher-1.4.0.5" (or whatever version you have edited it to)

Now use the .bat to open Maptools. Hopefully this will fix your issue.

- - - -

You can either create your own .bat file with the options above. Or use the one on this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sg0ys6q2zq7i ... uRXva?dl=0

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Drakol wrote:I edited a .bat file that will help people fix this issue if they have Radeon Graphics Cards, it was theorized by us that the reason is a conflict of DirectX options. This will help some people with black windows or windows dragging over each other due to compatibility with Java/AMD/Radeon options.
Nice catch!

This option should be built into the launcher.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You can add "-Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false" to the "insert java arguments here" entry on the Advanced tab to get the same results as the batch file.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

The coding is :
set VERS=1.4.0.5
javaw -Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false -Xmx1024M -Xss4096K -jar maptool-%VERS%.jar run
currently the latest (dev) launcher supports the following options for graphic card issues:
-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false
-Dsun.java2d.opengl=True
These can be found in the troubleshoot tab.

and from this: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/te ... doffscreen
specifically, this:
ddoffscreen
Obsoleted in: Java SE 6 Update 10, which contains a new implementation of D3D support. Setting sun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false is now interpreted exactly the same as disabling that via sun.java2d.d3d=false.
Intended use: To turn off the Java 2D system's use of DirectDraw and Direct3D for offscreen surfaces such as the Swing back buffer.
Introduced: 1.4
Default value: true
How to use: Setting this flag to false turns off DirectDraw offscreen surfaces acceleration.
Im gathering that the latest launcher supports this issue already.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

wolph42 wrote:
currently the latest (dev) launcher supports the following options for graphic card issues:
-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false
-Dsun.java2d.opengl=True
These can be found in the troubleshoot tab.
These options above also fixed my issue where Maptool and Tokentool didn't work when dragged to external monitors from my laptop (spanning screens). The App window would be all black inside the app frame, but when I dragged it back to the main monitor, everything inside the frame was visible again.

So thank you for adding this.

(fyi: New HP PC with high end Nvidia graphics, running Win10)
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Return to “MapTool”