Connection Problems

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Alarian
Cave Troll

Connection Problems

Post by Alarian »

I'm hoping someone can give me a pointer on fixing my problem. Ever since the Win10 Anniversary update no one has been able to connect to MapTool. I know the problem is the Windows Firewall because if I turn it off, everyone can connect fine, but I don't seem to be able to resolve the problem of connecting with the firewall on. I made an exception for maptool as well as java(this was already there) but nothing I try seems to fix the problem. Does anyone know how to get Win Firewall to allow connections to maptool?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Connection Problems

Post by Full Bleed »

Alarian wrote:I'm hoping someone can give me a pointer on fixing my problem. Ever since the Win10 Anniversary update no one has been able to connect to MapTool. I know the problem is the Windows Firewall because if I turn it off, everyone can connect fine, but I don't seem to be able to resolve the problem of connecting with the firewall on. I made an exception for maptool as well as java(this was already there) but nothing I try seems to fix the problem. Does anyone know how to get Win Firewall to allow connections to maptool?
Uninstall all versions of Java.

Delete Maptool (including your .maptool directory in your User directory).

Reboot.

Go to java.com and get the latest version of Java. *Make sure you get the Offline 64 Bit Version* if you have a 64 bit OS.

Install Java.

Get and install Maptool.

When running Maptool for the first time (use the LAUNCHER file), make sure you accept the Windows Java exception you are asked about.

This should fix your problem.

(Btw, you could probably just uninstall Java, reboot, go download the latest (64 bit version for 64 bit OS), install it, run current MT install, and accept the windows exception to get the same result... but the above method covers more potential issues.)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool”