Connection issue

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
trexnco
Kobold

Connection issue

Post by trexnco »

I hope someone can help me with this, I am unable to connect to a computer though I am able to host a server. When I do try to connect I get the timed out error.

I am using Windows 7 Maptools v.91

I have the firewall turned off.

I did not have this problem a couple of weeks ago though I can not remember what, if anything, I've done different to my computer in the meantime.

Any help would be great

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Connection issue

Post by aliasmask »

Can you start a server and then open another MT and connect to yourself?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

trexnco wrote:I hope someone can help me with this, I am unable to connect to a computer though I am able to host a server. When I do try to connect I get the timed out error.
1) Are you certain anyone else can connect to the server you can't?
2) Are you certain you're using the right ip, port, and password to connect?

Nothing should be stopping you from connecting to a server if the server is setup correctly and you have the right login/connection information.
I have the firewall turned off.
Don't do this. The firewall is not stopping you from connecting to a friend's server.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

trexnco
Kobold

Post by trexnco »

Thanks for the replies.

1. Yes other people were able to connect to the server. I was the only one unable to.

2. I'm pretty sure I had the right server and password. I clicked it off the list of available servers. I ask the host server about connecting via direct next time.

edit: even attempting to connect to other random servers listed gave me the same result of "connecting" ultimately resulting in a time out error.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Do you have some kind of anti-virus or software firewall that might be interfering?

trexnco
Kobold

Post by trexnco »

I don't think so. I recently got rid of avast and McAfee.

Is there a way to check on this?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Is your router set to high security? On my comcast router, if I have set at high then not connecting becomes an issue. I'm not sure about typical but I have mine set at minimum.

Return to “MapTool”