1.3.b91 LAN Issue

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
darkrokr
Kobold

1.3.b91 LAN Issue

Post by darkrokr »

My brother is unable to connect to my MapTool server with his computer, despite the fact that his computer and mine are both wired to the same router & have a Hamachi network in common. The other players in our group, which reside elsewhere, do not have this problem, despite all having Hamachi networks in common with my computer.

Relevant system information: his computer is running Windows 10, and mine is running 32-bit Ubuntu 14.04. I do not know what version of Java he has installed; I have 32-bit Java 6 installed on my computer. All players in our group are using MapTool 1.3.b91 (I know this because I supplied their download links).

Any insight on this would be much appreciated.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: 1.3.b91 LAN Issue

Post by Full Bleed »

darkrokr wrote:My brother is unable to connect to my MapTool server with his computer, despite the fact that his computer and mine are both wired to the same router & have a Hamachi network in common.
If you're using Hamachi then being on the same router doesn't mean a thing since he's connecting through it to you (and not directly to you through the router).

His issue is likely with Hamachi (since that's what he's connecting to). I haven't used Hamachi in many years... Do they have some diagnostics you can use to check his ability to connect through it?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

darkrokr
Kobold

Post by darkrokr »

I do not know whether Hamachi provides a relevant diagnostic service. I do know, however, that his computer and mine can see each other via Hamachi with no issues.

I have tried having him connect to my MapTool server using the "RPTools.net" tab in the "Connect to Server…" dialog. When he does so, he gets a warning dialog which states something along the lines of "using one's own IP address is unlikely to work". No one else on any of my Hamachi servers has ever experienced this issue.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Has he checked for firewall or anti-virus software that is blocking outgoing connections? Have you double and triple checked settings, like port number?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

darkrokr wrote:I have tried having him connect to my MapTool server using the "RPTools.net" tab in the "Connect to Server…" dialog. When he does so, he gets a warning dialog which states something along the lines of "using one's own IP address is unlikely to work".
What address are you using? He should be using the Direct Connect Tab and entering the Hamachi address.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

It sounds like you might be somewhat familiar with networking, given that you know what Hamachi and what it does.

But you questioned the error message about "using the same IP address", which makes me think that you might get some useful information from our Networking FAQ.

You can get there from the Help menu in MapTool. It'll take you to a forum post here that links to a PDF that discusses how networks work in general, and how MapTool uses the network, in particular.

Return to “MapTool”