Player joining game sees black when downloading large maps

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Tyshalle
Giant

Player joining game sees black when downloading large maps

Post by Tyshalle »

I tend to use large image files to make my maps. I try to keep the individual images as low as possible, but occasionally I'll use one that is 2-5 MB. When I do this, sometimes when entering the room, one or two of my players will report the image showing as pure black for them.

When this happens, is there an easy way to deal with it? Sometimes simply moving to a different map and re-entering the map will solve it. Sometimes exiting maptool and rejoining will fix it. But sometimes my players have to exit the room, delete their MapTool cache, and then relog. It's kind of a lot of effort for something I don't really understand.

Any easy fix for this? Is there something I could be doing that would allow me to still use 2-5 MB images that won't cause this to happen to my players?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Player joining game sees black when downloading large ma

Post by aliasmask »

He's probably not using the launcher to start MapTool so it uses the minimum settings. I recommend using the latest release or even better the 1.4.1.7 dev, works great and has java integrated with it. For most computers downloading java 64bit manually from java site (default download gives you 32bit) and setting the launcher settings to 2048 max mem and stack of 3 for the best results.

Tyshalle
Giant

Re: Player joining game sees black when downloading large ma

Post by Tyshalle »

The player claims he's using it, although he is using an old, pretty crappy computer. I'm not sure why a crappy computer would render a 2 MB image pure black, but it affects him more than anyone.

Also, if I'm not using a repository, and 5 people join a new map simultaneously could there be issues with that?

Return to “MapTool”