Dropping token asks for value

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Adurna
Cave Troll

Dropping token asks for value

Post by Adurna »

Hi. I'm having a bit of a problem.

I downloaded a .rptok, but every time I try to insert it in my campaign it starts asking me values for, I think, properties. Setting a value and clicking ok does nothing, the window keeps popping up. Same with pushing esc or clicking cancel. The only way out is by manually terminating the process.

Is there a way to fix it?

The token works wonderfully in a clean campaign file. I tried dropping it there and wiping its properties in case that's what's causing the conflict or something, but even that doesn't seem to help.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Dropping token asks for value

Post by aliasmask »

Could be that your "basic" properties have formulas while the token you're dropping on to the map was designed with a different token type. When tokens are dropped they default to basic I believe.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Adurna wrote:I downloaded a .rptok, but every time I try to insert it in my campaign it starts asking me values for, I think, properties.
Share the .rptok file.

Also, is the campaign you're placing it in using some kind of token selection/change event? Something that's looking for a property that doesn't exist on the new token?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Adurna
Cave Troll

Post by Adurna »

aliasmask wrote:Could be that your "basic" properties have formulas while the token you're dropping on to the map was designed with a different token type. When tokens are dropped they default to basic I believe.
Uhm, well yes, I use formulas. But I don't understand why maptool basically goes crazy for it and doesn't let me do anything but forcekill the process XD
Also, is the campaign you're placing it in using some kind of token selection/change event? Something that's looking for a property that doesn't exist on the new token?
I have no idea what this means :cry:
Attachments
Chimera Skeleton.rptok
(59.47 KiB) Downloaded 36 times

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Usually when I have this issue is because I have "formulas" in my "Statsheet" and if those contain formulas that expect certain variables, it's gonna go wild.

Like, I add a new formula "Stealthy?: [r: dex+newStealthBonus]" in my statsheet and then load old tokens that don't have a "newStealthBonus" value, everytime you hover over it it's gonna prompt you for "newStealthBonus".

One solution is go to your preferences and turn off "Show Statsheet" until you get it fixed.
-Jamz

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

JamzTheMan wrote:Usually when I have this issue is because I have "formulas" in my "Statsheet" and if those contain formulas that expect certain variables, it's gonna go wild.
It could be that... just looking at the token in a blank campaign file doesn't answer the question though because, as noted by Alias, it only opens with the "Basic" properties in a new campaign. And none of those are evaluated properties.

Adurna, you're going to have to share your campaign file for someone to really be able to figure out what the issue is.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Adurna
Cave Troll

Post by Adurna »

Full Bleed wrote:
JamzTheMan wrote:Usually when I have this issue is because I have "formulas" in my "Statsheet" and if those contain formulas that expect certain variables, it's gonna go wild.
It could be that... just looking at the token in a blank campaign file doesn't answer the question though because, as noted by Alias, it only opens with the "Basic" properties in a new campaign. And none of those are evaluated properties.

Adurna, you're going to have to share your campaign file for someone to really be able to figure out what the issue is.

It might be a little heavy for the forum. I'll link a dropbox link if that's ok
Spoiler

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

The problem is that in the token you are dropping there is some code in one of the properties that is evaluating in the statsheet (i.e. why you touch the token and the statsheet pops up it tries to run the code):

Code: Select all

HPMax: [R: 9d12 - 0 + (ConB * Level)]
You do not use the ConB or Level variables/properties in your setup.

So you need to do as Jamz indicated and turn off showing the stat sheet... then remove that HPMax value.

Edit>Preferences>Interactions>Tokens>Show stat sheet on mouseover

Also, keep in mind that the token you're importing is not particularly compatible with your campaign... it's using different properties and different values within them. Since you're not using the framework it was created for, you should probably look into building some kind of macro to stat new monsters properly for your campaign.

Adurna
Cave Troll

Post by Adurna »

Thank you! That works.

uh, I knew the properties were different, but to use that particular token the fastest way was to download it, drop it in and then manually set the properties. :P Or at least it would have been the fast way if I didn't incurr in that little problem (Which made me lose half an hour of unsaved modifications. Yeah I should save more regularly XD).

Now I think I understand what caused the problem.

So, if I were to make sure my properties aren't sharing names, like in this case that "HPMax", they wouldn't be pasted in my campaign and so they wouldn't create issues, right?

Return to “MapTool”