Maptool resolution issue

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: Maptool resolution issue

Post by JamzTheMan »

MeanyOwl wrote:Yeah, that is what prompted the EDIT added to the posts. I'm pretty sure the issue is actually with the tv itself - as viewing the jpgs shows a lot smaller text and pixelization than those screenshots do. I've noticed that in other ways but didn't think it relevant. Sorry for wasting everyone's time, but thank you for trying to help.
That is just the wierdest monitor issue I have evar heard of...
-Jamz

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

MeanyOwl wrote:Yeah, that is what prompted the EDIT added to the posts. I'm pretty sure the issue is actually with the tv itself - as viewing the jpgs shows a lot smaller text and pixelization than those screenshots do. I've noticed that in other ways but didn't think it relevant. Sorry for wasting everyone's time, but thank you for trying to help.
I asked for the model of the TV because certain TV's handle signals differently.

In looking at the instruction book for that TV try the following-

When using the HDMI cable from the computer:

1) Under "Selecting the Picture Size" (you can use the "Pic Size" button on remote to toggle through them): Native

2) Make sure Auto Aspect Ratio is set to: ON

And make sure your computer is sending a 1080p signal.

Some TV's just aren't very good at "knowing" that you're hooking up a 1080p computer source. And people often think, for example, that the "PC Setting" on TV's is for computers... but that's almost NEVER for computers when using an HDMI cable (and usually only for WXGA and SXGA resolutions).
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

MeanyOwl
Kobold

Post by MeanyOwl »

Full Bleed wrote:
I asked for the model of the TV because certain TV's handle signals differently.

In looking at the instruction book for that TV try the following-

When using the HDMI cable from the computer:

1) Under "Selecting the Picture Size" (you can use the "Pic Size" button on remote to toggle through them): Native

2) Make sure Auto Aspect Ratio is set to: ON

And make sure your computer is sending a 1080p signal.

Some TV's just aren't very good at "knowing" that you're hooking up a 1080p computer source. And people often think, for example, that the "PC Setting" on TV's is for computers... but that's almost NEVER for computers when using an HDMI cable (and usually only for WXGA and SXGA resolutions).
It is indeed on Native, but I have Auto Aspect Ratio off because when I have it on, the window resizes to the point where the edges are off the edges of the monitor, like it isn't in the proper resolution. Is that the way it's supposed to be, then? I didn't even know this model of TV came with a booklet, thank you for letting me know.

And now I need to look up how to make sure my computer is sending a 1080p signal. Will let you know how it pans out.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

MeanyOwl wrote:It is indeed on Native, but I have Auto Aspect Ratio off because when I have it on, the window resizes to the point where the edges are off the edges of the monitor, like it isn't in the proper resolution. Is that the way it's supposed to be, then?
Your graphics driver should allow you to scale the image to the screen appropriately if you're having this problem (overscan). You might have to poke around to find it. But if everything is set up properly, it should probably scale properly (i.e. if the TV knows it's receiving a computer signal via HDMI).
I didn't even know this model of TV came with a booklet, thank you for letting me know.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/20355 ... v600u.html
And now I need to look up how to make sure my computer is sending a 1080p signal. Will let you know how it pans out.
Control Panel>Appearance and Personalization>Display>Change Display Settings>Advanced Display Settings

1920x1080 should be the selected and recommended choice.

Some of this might come down to two problems though:

1) HD on a 19 inch screen is, by default going to have pretty small text. You should still be able to scale up the size of the text by using some of the available custom themes, though.
2) If that TV doesn't handle the native signal from the computer well (and it's re-scaling the image) it could be making the text/image blurry (combined with being a small screen, the issue is magnified).

At any rate, I'm just first trying to see if you can't get a proper, crisp, native 1080p display. Then you can go on to tackling resizing the text to your comfort level.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

MeanyOwl
Kobold

Post by MeanyOwl »

Full Bleed wrote:Your graphics driver should allow you to scale the image to the screen appropriately if you're having this problem (overscan). You might have to poke around to find it. But if everything is set up properly, it should probably scale properly (i.e. if the TV knows it's receiving a computer signal via HDMI).

Control Panel>Appearance and Personalization>Display>Change Display Settings>Advanced Display Settings

1920x1080 should be the selected and recommended choice.

Some of this might come down to two problems though:

1) HD on a 19 inch screen is, by default going to have pretty small text. You should still be able to scale up the size of the text by using some of the available custom themes, though.
2) If that TV doesn't handle the native signal from the computer well (and it's re-scaling the image) it could be making the text/image blurry (combined with being a small screen, the issue is magnified).

At any rate, I'm just first trying to see if you can't get a proper, crisp, native 1080p display. Then you can go on to tackling resizing the text to your comfort level.

So I've successfully turned on auto-aspect ratio and put it to Native. And I'm familiar with the text size changer - it was one of the first options I went to, before posting this thread. For some bizarre reason, Maptool was the only app that failed to have its text changed by that. I went through each setting, moved them from their default 9 setting to 12 to make sure it would be something I noticed, and booted maptool, no change.

Maptool has been somehow resisting all changes made to it since, again, I've gone as low as 800x600 resolution, and Maptool's text size wouldn't change. I've pretty much just abandoned maptool on the tower computer, and have moved to using it exclusively on a laptop at this point.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

MeanyOwl wrote:I went through each setting, moved them from their default 9 setting to 12 to make sure it would be something I noticed, and booted maptool, no change.
That is not the scaling I was talking about. The settings you used there would have been overridden by MT's theme.

I was talking about this scaling:

Right click on Desktop>Display settings>Change the size of text, apps, and other items: XXX% (Slider)

That scaling is not suggested because it added a bit of distortion and can blow-up some windows beyond their intended size... but it will get the job done in MT.

And, have you tried following the instructions on this post?

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 22#p261021

MeanyOwl
Kobold

Post by MeanyOwl »

The slider has already been attempted, but hasn't worked. I followed the link to your default.theme adjustment, but cannot implement it because I've followed previous advice, from:
aliasmask wrote: You did restart your computer between removing and installing? That makes a difference.

If you really want a clean slate you can run the

Backup MapTool Registry Entries.bat
Remove MapTool Registry Entries.reg

files, in that order to clear MT registry info, but I don't think there is anything saved there. If you have default.theme in your MT root directory, you can rename it. This is the one I use. Just remove the .zip so it ends in .theme
Here.

The default.theme file from this is a compressed zip file that windows cannot open, I receive a popup to that effect whenever I attempt to open or unzip it further. I get the feeling that, given your advice, I should be able to put this folder inside it, that something has gone wrong.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

MeanyOwl wrote:The slider has already been attempted, but hasn't worked. I followed the link to your default.theme adjustment, but cannot implement it because I've followed previous advice
That shouldn't matter at all. You can have 10 Maptool installs on your computer if you want.

Got to: http://www.rptools.net/downloadsw/

Download 1.4.0.5.

Unzip that file on your desktop. You will have a "maptool-1.4.0.5" folder on your desktop.

Delete the zip file you downloaded so you don't confuse it with the Maptool folder you just created.

Then, go to the link I listed above: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 22#p261021

And follow those instructions.

Launch Maptool using the "launcher-1.4.0.5.jar" file.

Return to “MapTool”