Maptool resolution issue

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Maptool resolution issue

Post by aliasmask »

MeanyOwl wrote:Yes, I restarted after uninstalling them, and then reinstalled them from fresh downloads.

When you say maptool root directory, do you mean .maptool? Because if so, where should I put the default.theme, just anywhere or a particular folder?
Where the .jar file is so wherever you installed it.

MeanyOwl
Kobold

Post by MeanyOwl »

JamzTheMan wrote:Silly question but did you tell Windows to change the size of apps/text/etc under display options?
I did, and while it affects other apps Maptool is totally unaffected.
aliasmask wrote: Where the .jar file is so wherever you installed it.
I've put the file in the folder, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on Maptool.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Did you put the .manifest files in same dir as the jar files? Because that's not where it goes...

You have to put it in the same directory that java.exe and javaw.exe are located. If this is an older version, it's going to be in your program files dir. If it's the Dev version or mine, it's in the jwrapper dir. (look at the bottom of the Launcher and it should list the path for java)
Last edited by JamzTheMan on Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jamz

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

JamzTheMan wrote:Did you put the .manifest files in same dir as the jar files? Because that's now where it goes...
The rest of your post suggest that should be "not where it goes." Is that correct? Or am I just more easily confused than usual today?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Sorry, posted from my phone and missed that. Corrected and you are correct, meant "not". Of course you may be talking about the theme file in which case ignore me...
-Jamz

MeanyOwl
Kobold

Post by MeanyOwl »

JamzTheMan wrote:Did you put the .manifest files in same dir as the jar files? Because that's not where it goes...

You have to put it in the same directory that java.exe and javaw.exe are located. If this is an older version, it's going to be in your program files dir. If it's the Dev version or mine, it's in the jwrapper dir. (look at the bottom of the Launcher and it should list the path for java)
Yes, I tried that previously and did not notice a change. I'm being told by my friends that it might be a Win10 issue, and if that's the case I'm out of luck.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

MeanyOwl wrote:Yes, I tried that previously and did not notice a change. I'm being told by my friends that it might be a Win10 issue, and if that's the case I'm out of luck.
It's not a Windows 10 issue.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I think there's something going on that's being left out or that is not obviously the problem. If you want me to look at your system via a VT or some other method I would be willing. You'll have to catch me at the right moment though. Let me know if you're interested.

metatheurgist
Dragon

Post by metatheurgist »

I'm curious too. Maybe a screenshot? Either way I would've thought it'd be an easy fix with tinylaf and custom default.theme.

MeanyOwl
Kobold

Post by MeanyOwl »

metatheurgist wrote:I'm curious too. Maybe a screenshot? Either way I would've thought it'd be an easy fix with tinylaf and custom default.theme.
I noticed something weird while making these snips.
Maptoolsnip1.JPG
Maptoolsnip1.JPG (463.69 KiB) Viewed 768 times
This one appears as Maptool should - when I used the Window snip feature. But the next one, that I took with a rectangular snip, reflects the resolution I'm having trouble with.
Maptoolsnip2.JPG
Maptoolsnip2.JPG (41.23 KiB) Viewed 768 times
This leads me to wonder if the issue is actually in the tv itself - perhaps a firmware problem?
aliasmask wrote:I think there's something going on that's being left out or that is not obviously the problem. If you want me to look at your system via a VT or some other method I would be willing. You'll have to catch me at the right moment though. Let me know if you're interested.
I would be down for that - I'm just a casual windows user with techie friends, so while I have attempted everything so far, I can't promise I've done it correctly.

EDIT: Now I'm definitely worried if it is my tv-monitor, because looking at the snips I have on my computer, and the way they're appearing as attachments are wildly different. The snips appear much higher resolution and larger than they should. The second snip especially - even on the snip file I have it appears pixilated, but here it does not.

I'm going to start looking around for replacement monitors, just in case because while Maptool is only one app that it appears to have issue with, I don't feel I can trust a tv-monitor that I'm getting inconsistent results with.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Ah, maybe you're not using the native resolution of the tv. That will make it look funky. I use a tv for my monitor as well and it supports 1920x1080, but some may not. Try 1280x720.

Yes, your clips look normal.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Is it just me or do those clips look the same? I see no difference? Maybe a visit to the eye doctor? :)
-Jamz

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

JamzTheMan wrote:Is it just me or do those clips look the same? I see no difference? Maybe a visit to the eye doctor? :)
That red dot for bloodied is pretty fuzzy ;)

metatheurgist
Dragon

Post by metatheurgist »

JamzTheMan wrote:Is it just me or do those clips look the same? I see no difference? Maybe a visit to the eye doctor? :)
It's not just you.

MeanyOwl
Kobold

Post by MeanyOwl »

Yeah, that is what prompted the EDIT added to the posts. I'm pretty sure the issue is actually with the tv itself - as viewing the jpgs shows a lot smaller text and pixelization than those screenshots do. I've noticed that in other ways but didn't think it relevant. Sorry for wasting everyone's time, but thank you for trying to help.

Return to “MapTool”