Maptool resolution issue

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
MeanyOwl
Kobold

Maptool resolution issue

Post by MeanyOwl »

I recently switched my monitor cables to an HDMI cable, and after this the resolution for the maptool window has gone far too high up. I cannot read text written in tokens, or on tooltips, the menu bar buttons are so small I have trouble clicking them, and the text is often pixelated from how small it is.

I have changed my monitor resolution, gone as far down as 800x600, and gone back to the old monitor cord, but Maptool's resolution doesn't change to match the monitor's. I haven't found a way to adjust maptool's resolution and am at a loss for what to do. Maptool isn't playable for me in this state.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Maptool resolution issue

Post by aliasmask »

I believe there is a solution in the forums for high resolution monitors. I think the solution is here: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 15#p264355

It's basically a setting for java in the registry that needs to be changed.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Try this thread and see if it helps?

Alternatively you can try my Fork, it has this baked into the Launcher as an option. (although it is really simple to do manually)
-Jamz

Glitch(TMG)
Cave Troll

Post by Glitch(TMG) »

Friend of MeanyOwl here. He apparently can't edit his post at the moment until it's moderator-approved (understandable, as he just now created his account). Anyway.

He is running Win10 OS. This issue is happening in all versions of MapTool, and in fact, is also happening in his IRC client program, so this is looking like a Win10 issue and not an MT issue. Still, if anyone can possibly help, that would be appreciated.
JamzTheMan wrote:Try this thread and see if it helps?

Alternatively you can try my Fork, it has this baked into the Launcher as an option. (although it is really simple to do manually)
...what thread?

MeanyOwl
Kobold

Post by MeanyOwl »

aliasmask wrote:I believe there is a solution in the forums for high resolution monitors. I think the solution is here: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 15#p264355

It's basically a setting for java in the registry that needs to be changed.
I've tried following the instructions there, but I'm on win10, and can't get to the appdata file to enact them.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Glitch(TMG) wrote:Friend of MeanyOwl here. He apparently can't edit his post at the moment until it's moderator-approved (understandable, as he just now created his account). Anyway.

He is running Win10 OS. This issue is happening in all versions of MapTool, and in fact, is also happening in his IRC client program, so this is looking like a Win10 issue and not an MT issue. Still, if anyone can possibly help, that would be appreciated.
JamzTheMan wrote:Try this thread and see if it helps?

...what thread?
I suppose it does help if I add the link, doh. http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... st#p264395

And it sounds like HDPI issue (as in, going to HDMI cable upped his resolution? not sure...)
-Jamz

MeanyOwl
Kobold

Post by MeanyOwl »

With help from some friends, I've gotten the manifest registry in the javapath, but there has been no change in maptool's resolution. It looked like there was supposed to be a second file with the manifest registry, but if so it is no longer there.
JamzTheMan wrote: And it sounds like HDPI issue (as in, going to HDMI cable upped his resolution? not sure...)
Yes, switching to HDMI allowed my monitor to go up to 1920x1080, but going back to a regular DVI chord hasn't fixed the issue.

MeanyOwl
Kobold

Post by MeanyOwl »

Okay, since the last post I have tried adjusting Windows' text magnifier to no effect, and updated my graphics card to no effect. The issue is isolated to Maptool, and the solution presented by the above linked threads hasn't had any effect either.

My 'monitor' is a Toshiba tv, as I don't have a true monitor. Previously, I was using a VGA cord with a DVI adapter because my computer could not take the VGA cord itself, for whatever reason. As mentioned above, the problem presented after I switched to an HDMI cord.

Previously the resolution was fixed at 1360x765, but switching to HDMI brought it up to 1920x1080, with a 16:9 ratio.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

MeanyOwl wrote:I recently switched my monitor cables to an HDMI cable, and after this the resolution for the maptool window has gone far too high up. I cannot read text written in tokens, or on tooltips, the menu bar buttons are so small I have trouble clicking them, and the text is often pixelated from how small it is.
I think there is something else going on here. We're only talking about HD resolution here... the problems many have with resolution in MT come from 4k.

What's the model # of the TV you are using as a monitor?
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

May have to nuke and repave. Basically, remove java and .maptool folder and restart computer, then re-install. It could also be a windows setting. I know if I right click the desktop and select display settings I can set the font size for apps based on a percentage. Try playing with that.

MeanyOwl
Kobold

Post by MeanyOwl »

aliasmask wrote:May have to nuke and repave. Basically, remove java and .maptool folder and restart computer, then re-install. It could also be a windows setting. I know if I right click the desktop and select display settings I can set the font size for apps based on a percentage. Try playing with that.
I have - it works for all apps except Maptool.
Full Bleed wrote: I think there is something else going on here. We're only talking about HD resolution here... the problems many have with resolution in MT come from 4k.

What's the model # of the TV you are using as a monitor?
It's a Toshiba 19AV600u television.

Going to be trying java, after saving my maptool resources remove .maptool, will let you know how it goes.

MeanyOwl
Kobold

Post by MeanyOwl »

So nuke and repave had no effect. I uninstalled Java, and removed all versions of maptool and the .maptool folder from my hard disk, but nothing has changed.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

MeanyOwl wrote:So nuke and repave had no effect. I uninstalled Java, and removed all versions of maptool and the .maptool folder from my hard disk, but nothing has changed.
You did restart your computer between removing and installing? That makes a difference.

If you really want a clean slate you can run the

Backup MapTool Registry Entries.bat
Remove MapTool Registry Entries.reg

files, in that order to clear MT registry info, but I don't think there is anything saved there. If you have default.theme in your MT root directory, you can rename it. This is the one I use. Just remove the .zip so it ends in .theme
Attachments
Default.theme.zip
(4.7 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

MeanyOwl
Kobold

Post by MeanyOwl »

Yes, I restarted after uninstalling them, and then reinstalled them from fresh downloads.

When you say maptool root directory, do you mean .maptool? Because if so, where should I put the default.theme, just anywhere or a particular folder?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Silly question but did you tell Windows to change the size of apps/text/etc under display options?
-Jamz

Return to “MapTool”