What do Gridless Size Modifiers mean?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Dachimotsu
Kobold

What do Gridless Size Modifiers mean?

Post by Dachimotsu »

I've been DMing 4e for years using MapTool, and for its duration, I've been used to using grids. But we're done with 4e and moving on to 5e now, so I want to eliminate grids in favor of free, foot-by-foot movement. Gridless.

However, 5e's rules still use size categories like Tiny, Medium, and Gargantuan. On gridless maps, these size categories are replaced by numbers, with "0" making a token fit to the map's default "space" size, negatives making it smaller and positives making it larger.

But what do the increments represent? I experimented with them for a while, and the sizes seem to operate on some kind of curve. I tried for a while to find the numbers that perfectly match the sizes that Large, Huge, and Gargantuan tokens should be. What makes 1 larger than 0? What is the formula? "4" seems to be the perfect number for "Large", but I struggle to find one for anything larger.

I've tried turning the grid on and using the normal size categories, but they revert when I turn the grid back off again. I know I can keep the grid on disable each token's "Snap-to-Grid" option, but then the ruler tool would still follow the grid, making it awkward and useless.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: What do Gridless Size Modifiers mean?

Post by JamzTheMan »

You will probably find more issues with gridless, like templates, and maybe some functions that get size/location info...

It has always needed some love but most systems use some sort of grid so....
-Jamz

Dachimotsu
Kobold

Re: What do Gridless Size Modifiers mean?

Post by Dachimotsu »

Well, for now, my easiest solution is to just assign each size category a number. I'll post them here, just in case anyone wants to use or critique them:

Tiny: -2
Small: -1
Medium: 0
Large: 4
Huge: 6
Gargantuan: 7+

Return to “MapTool”