Shadow effect

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Stefano84
Kobold

Shadow effect

Post by Stefano84 »

Good evening everyone,

I'm looking for some advices about making a "shadow version" of a map I've already made.
I'm wondering if its possible, as example, to add a blur effect on walls, fading edges etc etc.
I take this idea from a Neverwinter Night 2 expansion, where the player can visit the "shadow side" of the world, where thing ar similar but darker, creepy, edge fading...

Maybe the question can be just how to add those effect while drawing a map, and mainly if its possible.

Another way I'm thinking about is to draw the map via Cartographer and then use it as background on MapTool, but I do not use Cartographer since I discovered MapTool, years ago :p

Thanks

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Shadow effect

Post by aliasmask »

There's not MapTool tool to do that. You would have to take the original image and make the changes. You can also try the export as image tool and modify the image then put on a new map. But if the image is too big, it may not work.

One trick for exporting is making sure the zoom is at 100% otherwise some tokens may not appear on export.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Shadow effect

Post by wolph42 »

what you could do is make a blue-transparent image and stretch that image over the entire map on the 'hidden' layer. When the players move to the shadow world you move the image to the object (or background) layer creating the effect you require.

Return to “MapTool”