[1.4.0.4] Macro Bug?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Adurna
Cave Troll

[1.4.0.4] Macro Bug?

Post by Adurna »

Hi, I hope I'm doing it the proper way. The bug section mentioned first having the bug discussed in the parent forum and this should be it.

So apparently, maptool doesn't really like certain letters, at least within macros. So far I've tried this with the letters ùìèéòà.
Which may not be an issue in english, but other languages use them and I'm pretty sure the problem persist with other foreign accented letters.

The thing is, this happens when these letters are within "", so they shouldn't (I think) create problems, as the reasoning should be to parse exactly what's within the "" as it is.
But doing so produces an error like this:

Code: Select all

line 1:18: expecting '"', found 'à'
I've not tested it extensively, but this happens with [if(): ""] macros and [s: ""] macros.

To reproduce the bug simply use one of them and have one of those letters within "".

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: [1.4.0.4] Macro Bug?

Post by aliasmask »

In the MapTool launcher, did you select your language or is it still in English?

Adurna
Cave Troll

Post by Adurna »

I have it in italian, would changing to english solve this?

Edit: well, half of it is in italian, the menus are and the rest is mostly english. Now that I think about it I don't think I ever had to choose a language. It's just the version I downloaded as it is...

Adurna
Cave Troll

Post by Adurna »

Ok, this happens with certain apostrophes as well. Not the one I have on my keyboard, but the one used in the d&d SRD
creature’s
The error remains the same

line 1:24: expecting '"', found '’'

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Adurna wrote:Ok, this happens with certain apostrophes as well. Not the one I have on my keyboard, but the one used in the d&d SRD
creature’s
The error remains the same

line 1:24: expecting '"', found '’'
If you're copying and pasting, the SRD is probably using "smart quotes," which are different than the normal apostrophe and quote marks. Try pasting it into Notepad, then copying that to paste into the macro editor.

Adurna
Cave Troll

Post by Adurna »

Mhm, yes but the apostrophe problem isn't really the issue. I just thought I'd add it when I noticed.

The main problem is with accented letters. I admit I have little understanding of coding and such, but the system shouldn't be confused by those letters when they are within "".

I understand why it might be confused about these smart quotes, since it might be mistaken for some other kind of code. But I don't think the same can be said of "àòèéùì" et simila...

Now I get that if this is a bug, and it's not just something wrong on my end (which I doubt from what I can tell), it's not probably a priority to fix. And even tho now that I know it exists I can easily avoid it by misspelling words, I'd still like to have it fixed, someday.

To make a comparison: if this were in english it would be like the system giving errors every time you write "you're" and not having the option of writing "you are". So you're stuck with settling for "your" and grasping the meaning from the context. It maked me cringe :(

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

It does seem to be a bug, I thought MT was internationalized but bugs happen. Until there is a fix, you can use HTML entities instead of misspelling:

[r: test="You can use HTML Entity (decimal) ö, (hex) ö, or (named) ö as a work around..."]

Also, sometimes we forget to update the language files sometimes with new code or lack an translator. The latest language files can be found here: https://github.com/RPTools/maptool/tree ... l/language

If you find entries in i18n.properties missing in i18n_it.properties or have an incorrect translation, feel free to submit a bug report and/or an updated .properties file. If you find english in a menu item, dialog, etc that isn't covered in the .properties file, let us know as well. Things slip through. :)
-Jamz

Return to “MapTool”