Output differences between 1.3.91 and 1.4.0.5

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
xavram
Dragon

Output differences between 1.3.91 and 1.4.0.5

Post by xavram »

We started a new game last night, using a framework I wrote for 1.3.91. But we've upgraded to 1.4.0.5 and we noticed some weird outputs to the chat window.

For example, in the older version, if you rolled a save, only the player and the DM would see that you had made a saving throw. However, in 1.4.0.5, the same macro outputs a blank string to all the other players.

I distilled the macro down to its simplest form and its just...

Code: Select all

[g,s : "rolls a save: "]
Again, in 3.91, this code just sent to the GM and the token owner, no output at all to the other players. But 1.4, the other players are getting a blank output in their chat windows.

Is there some fundamental difference between the versions that I need to account for?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Output differences between 1.3.91 and 1.4.0.5

Post by aliasmask »

I don't see that behavior in 1.4.1.7. The most common reason for blank output is use of comments <!-- comment --> in your code which forces blank output. It's not really blank though. It's just that html comments are not shown. You can see what your "blank" output is by saving the chat log and looking at it.

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

Yep, I get that about the comments, have been bitten by that i the past.

But in the example I've given below, my macro is literally just that one line...

[g,s : "rolls a save: "]

Now, its called form a macro link, like so...

[h: link = macroLinkText("Actions@Lib:PC_CombatMacros", "all", "", "selected")]

All the player macros are called from buttons on an XML form, filtered through the "Actions" macro to determine what specific macro to call.

...and I know the output there is "all" but that what was all working in ver.89 and i'm only now having problems with it in 1.4.0.5

I fear I'm going to have to re-write tons of this framework to get the chat output to work properly.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Well "all" will output to all even without output. Just the nature of the beast. I recommend doing none, passing a list of ppl to output too and use broadcast.

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

sigh, so basically, having to re-write EVERYTHING that had been previously working in .89. Because I didn't use broadcast for anything in 89 and everything worked just fine, by specifying "s", "g", or "r" in the roll options.

So, if I go that route, is there a way to output the token's portrait to the chat window? Normally broadcast doesn't show that.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I recommend taking a look at my starter lib token: http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php ... 59#p255459

I basically use this when starting a new project. It includes a generic output macro with additional options for output like "other" and "owner", some basic debugging macros and turns all your macros in to UDFs.

Return to “MapTool”