RPTools.net

Discussion and Support

Skip to content

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:39 pm 

Forum rules

PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

Dragon

Post subject: NPCs and vision
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:03 pm 
My friend is running a game in 1.4.0.5 and noticed something, wanted to know if there's a way to fix this.

When running the game as the GM, if he mouses over a player's token, he sees the white lines indicating that token's vision. However, when he mouses over an NPC, he does not see the white lines, so its hard for him to see what the NPC can actually see. The only solution we've found is to use Ctrl+I to reveal fog for the NPC, then you can tell what's in the NPC's vision.

Is that normal? and if so, what's the reasoning behind it?

User avatar  Offline
Deity

Post subject: Re: NPCs and vision
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:02 pm 
xavram wrote:
My friend is running a game in 1.4.0.5 and noticed something, wanted to know if there's a way to fix this.

When running the game as the GM, if he mouses over a player's token, he sees the white lines indicating that token's vision. However, when he mouses over an NPC, he does not see the white lines, so its hard for him to see what the NPC can actually see. The only solution we've found is to use Ctrl+I to reveal fog for the NPC, then you can tell what's in the NPC's vision.

Is that normal? and if so, what's the reasoning behind it?

Yes... it's a performance optimization. The more things the renderer has to go through, the long it takes. Add a few hundred NPC tokens(which are anything NOT PC's!!!) and the render time gets way too slow.

I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

User avatar  Offline
Great Wyrm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:50 pm 
If you download my fork, I have actually made changes to this. NPC's now reveal vision like PC tokens and the GM can dynamically change his view to see what GM tokens can see vs PC tokens vs NPC tokens vs All tokens...

With that said, NPC tokens SHOULD still show the white outline just like PC tokens, as long as it has vision checked. I just tested this with 1.4.0.5.

This is why I made the changes I did. It was not much of a performance hit, the vision is already being calculated, just FoW history was not being shown/saved.

More information here: MapTool Nerps! Fork | TokenTool Nerps! Fork
Custom TokenTool (version 1.0b33): TokenTool.exe

User avatar  Offline
Deity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:45 pm 
JamzTheMan wrote:
If you download my fork, I have actually made changes to this. NPC's now reveal vision like PC tokens and the GM can dynamically change his view to see what GM tokens can see vs PC tokens vs NPC tokens vs All tokens...

With that said, NPC tokens SHOULD still show the white outline just like PC tokens, as long as it has vision checked. I just tested this with 1.4.0.5.

This is why I made the changes I did. It was not much of a performance hit, the vision is already being calculated, just FoW history was not being shown/saved.

Wait... I seem to remember the white lines on NPC's also as you noted, but the OP said his friend does not see the white lines, unless I misunderstood. And you are right, I guess I was thinking about revealing FOW, not so much the white lines of what they can currently see. Are you saying your NPC's reveal FOW now or am I not understanding?

I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:13 pm 
Hmmm, I'm going to have to go look and see what he's doing, because I just double checked on my system and I see the white lines for an NPC's vision...when Fog is revealed. Maybe that was his problem, maybe fog hadn't been revealed for the NPC (which would effectively make it "blind", so no white lines).

User avatar  Offline
Great Wyrm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:10 am 
jfrazierjr wrote:
JamzTheMan wrote:

Wait... I seem to remember the white lines on NPC's also as you noted, but the OP said his friend does not see the white lines, unless I misunderstood. And you are right, I guess I was thinking about revealing FOW, not so much the white lines of what they can currently see. Are you saying your NPC's reveal FOW now or am I not understanding?

Yep, I have NPC's revealing FoW. What a client sees is based on ownership now. The buttons are ME, PC, NPC, All, which shows exposed FoW based on:

ME: Show me only what MY tokens can see (tokens who's ownership is explicitly set to you, unless you are GM in which case, show me tokens that have NO ownership)
PC: Show me all PC tokens that either I own or are owned by all
NPC: Show me NPC tokens that either I own are owned by all
All: Show me PC & NPC tokens that either I own are owned by all

If server is set to Expose FoW on movement, and you move an NPC that you own (like a cohort or summoned creature) it exposed FoW for that token.

More information here: MapTool Nerps! Fork | TokenTool Nerps! Fork
Custom TokenTool (version 1.0b33): TokenTool.exe

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]