Does a maptoolbox makes sense?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Nin
Cave Troll

Does a maptoolbox makes sense?

Post by Nin »

With Javascript, HTML5, CSS3, Maptool offers many new possibilities.
I personally would like to see a structured collection of different functions (individual lib: tokens for sound, notebook, layers, etc.).
So to speak, a Maptool(Tool)box from which different frameworks can be assembled more easily.
Does that make sense or are the individual requirements for frameworks so different that nothing goes together?

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: Does a maptoolbox makes sense?

Post by jfrazierjr »

While there is a goal to make things more interoperable, it's still going to be LARGELY on the original authors to ensure they don't do stupid stuff.

For example, John makes a spell system with a property named level and Bill makes an elevation system with a property named level...BOOM stuff don't work right. THE CREATORS have to be forward thinking enough to not break someone elses stuff if they choose to put it out into the wild IF they care enough about interop.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Nin
Cave Troll

Post by Nin »

jfrazierjr wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:08 pm
For example, John makes a spell system with a property named level and Bill makes an elevation system with a property named level...BOOM stuff don't work right.
Properties templates could be created for the lib:tokens. Just as there are already for different game systems.

(My fear is that with new functions maptool will become more confusing for new potential users and people will turn their backs on Maptool and prefer to use Foundry VTT, for example.)

bubblobill
Giant

Post by bubblobill »

Biggest hurdle is that people don't generally code for the community, they code for themselves then share what they produced.
Creating models and guidelines is not a bad idea if it is easy to adopt as it will likely make people's code more robust as well.

Not sure you are proposing a toolbox so much as a large shed.
Bubblobill on the forum.
@Reverend on the MapTool Discord Server

Responsible for less atrocities than most... I do accept responsibility for these though: SmartDoors, Simple d20 Framework - barebones, Drop-in: All 3.5 SRD Monsters, Drop in: Simple Character Editor, Battletech Framework

Nin
Cave Troll

Post by Nin »

You are probably absolutely right. :(

Nin
Cave Troll

Post by Nin »

On the other hand, there may be more people like me who make their "own" framework by picking up and changing the work of others.

bubblobill
Giant

Post by bubblobill »

Requires a pretty serious discussion of naming conventions and structures.
What sort of thing do you want to be able to hook together and how do you envision the hooks working?
Bubblobill on the forum.
@Reverend on the MapTool Discord Server

Responsible for less atrocities than most... I do accept responsibility for these though: SmartDoors, Simple d20 Framework - barebones, Drop-in: All 3.5 SRD Monsters, Drop in: Simple Character Editor, Battletech Framework

Nin
Cave Troll

Post by Nin »

It is already happening partially now (e.g. Wolph42's lib_mtplayer). Just not structured. And not with the goal of developing a jointly kit.
Also so that beginners and people without knowledge of coding are able to benefit from the new possibilities of Maptool.
Spoiler
But maybe I have a completely different, more general problem. It seems to me that more and more is moving into the fast-moving and unmanageable Discord. Fast communication for the cracks who are working on something special. But later untraceable for others. Maptool that frayed more and more.

Return to “MapTool”