Token animations question

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Konkerhavoks
Kobold

Token animations question

Post by Konkerhavoks »

Simple question. Are tokens able to be set as animations I.e gifs?

New to the website just spent a week making a nice campaign wondering if I could have done better for my PCs.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Token animations question

Post by wolph42 »

the short: nope.
the bit longer: you can however introduce some animation using the macro system of maptool, e.g. in the BoT opening doors is animated.

However its complex and depending on the connection potentially stuttering

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

wolph42 wrote:the short: nope.
the bit longer: you can however introduce some animation using the macro system of maptool, e.g. in the BoT opening doors is animated.

my understanding is that MT can handle this but you need to use tables, so only the DM can really add this feature unless someone changes the hard coding that disallows players to add their own imaged tables.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

femanon wrote:
wolph42 wrote:the short: nope.

my understanding is that MT can handle this but you need to use tables, so only the DM can really add this feature unless someone changes the hard coding that disallows players to add their own imaged tables.
A player can do as long as they have access to the images, so you could drop a series of images on a map somewhere. For easy of use I would put the prefix image: on the name so getImage can find them from any map. The animation looks great on your system, but everyone else will likely just see the starting then ending image without a significant delay between deferred image updates. So, imo, not very viable.

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

Dropping a bunch of files on the map will clutter up the map significantly and could take a significant portion of time the more animation frames you need to drop. theres no real reason not to allow players to add their own tables if the server is set to allow it.

JoeDuncan
Giant

Post by JoeDuncan »

Konkerhavoks wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:49 am
Simple question. Are tokens able to be set as animations I.e gifs?

New to the website just spent a week making a nice campaign wondering if I could have done better for my PCs.
Five years, might be too much necro, but if you're still around and using Maptool:

JUH Intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjv6eXpKZU8

That's a good overview - but the video tutorial on the procedural token animation system is yet to come. However the lib:tokens contain extensive API refs, howtos and examples you can use to learn the animation system.
"Joe's Ugly Hacks - Get 'em while their hot! Guaranteed ugliest hacks around or your money back!"

Username1234
Kobold

Post by Username1234 »

I've just finished working on a fully functioning Connect Four board, but I want to integrate animations for when the tokens are falling into the board. I'm looking for a simple Javascript/CSS solution, no jQuery or anything like that. It'd be optimal to have the element itself fall into the desired slot, but if that's not possible, I understand.

Regards, Anideos

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Animation of tokens on the map can be really inefficient, imperfect and resource heavy opposed to just doing it with javascript. moving a token from point A to point B is easy, but not animated. There is no built in delay which is a part of it, but you can have a macro check the time then call itself until the time is up, then execute a move. The problem with that is the server would see a nice animation but the clients typically only see the start and end because of how data is transferred.

Here's an example of connect 4 in javascript I found online: https://codepen.io/osbulbul/pen/ngJdYy

Return to “MapTool”