RPTools.net

Discussion and Support

Skip to content

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:57 am 




Forum rules


PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)



Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

Previous topic | Next topic 

  Print view

Author Message
 Offline
Cave Troll
 
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:32 pm
Posts: 29
Location: Fort Smith, AR
 Post subject: No Autosaves
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:19 pm 
First, let me say that I am aware that Autosaves only last until the session is properly closed.

So, I have my "Preferences>Application>Campaign autosave every" set to 10 minutes. Several times now, MT has crashed (not close together, it just happens sometimes), but there was nothing in the Autosave Folder except a blank map that is automatically created upon opening MT or a barely altered or completely unaltered campaign. Initially, I assumed this was some mistake on my part and just kicked myself and moved on, but after this last crash (where I lost 2 hours of campaign design), I decided to look into it some more. What I found was that, for whatever reason, MapTools is only making one Autosave at the first increment (10 minutes) and then not doing it again. Is this intentional or do I need to change a setting?

Also, would anyone know of a convenient way to create permanent autosaves? Such as a way to create a real-time copy of the autosave folder automatically?


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Demigod
 
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:53 am
Posts: 3701
Location: MD
 Post subject: Re: No Autosaves
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:21 pm 
SzassT wrote:
So, I have my "Preferences>Application>Campaign autosave every" set to 10 minutes. Several times now, MT has crashed (not close together, it just happens sometimes), but there was nothing in the Autosave Folder except a blank map that is automatically created upon opening MT or a barely altered or completely unaltered campaign. Initially, I assumed this was some mistake on my part and just kicked myself and moved on, but after this last crash (where I lost 2 hours of campaign design), I decided to look into it some more. What I found was that, for whatever reason, MapTools is only making one Autosave at the first increment (10 minutes) and then not doing it again. Is this intentional or do I need to change a setting?

First, this is not the way it should be working. Please provide your Help>Gather Debug information.

Second, MT should not be crashing like that. Your debug info might explain it. But you might want to turn on logging in the launcher and see if it notices something going on.

Quote:
Also, would anyone know of a convenient way to create permanent autosaves? Such as a way to create a real-time copy of the autosave folder automatically?

You could try mirroring the autosave directory to a dropbox account... and then when it deletes the autosave on exit I think dropbox will actually keep a copy of it for 30 days and you might be able to recover it that way.

_________________
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Giant
 
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:30 pm
Posts: 198
 Post subject: Re: No Autosaves
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:04 pm 
Full Bleed wrote:
SzassT wrote:
Quote:
Also, would anyone know of a convenient way to create permanent autosaves? Such as a way to create a real-time copy of the autosave folder automatically?

You could try mirroring the autosave directory to a dropbox account... and then when it deletes the autosave on exit I think dropbox will actually keep a copy of it for 30 days and you might be able to recover it that way.


I have no experience with DropBox, so it may well work. But with Google Drive, it may give you fits. It doesn't play well with other programs. If I try to save (manually, but I expect it'd be the same with Autosave) while Drive is synching, either Drive will crash (and stop syncing) or (more likely) Windows will end up with a lock on the .cmpgn file that prevents MT from accessing it at all. (I'm not sure if Drive can at that point.) And, IIRC, I can't rename or delete the file through Windows Explorer. The quick fix is to delete stuff in one of the directories in the .maptool folder (which Drive doesn't touch - very weird). The real fix is a reboot.

So, I guess my point is this: don't trust this until you have tested it thoroughly. Cloud storage is darned useful, but not perfect.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Dragon
 
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:48 pm
Posts: 326
 Post subject: Re: No Autosaves
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:37 pm 
Autosaves haven't been working properly for me for a long time, probably since 1.4. I have it set to autosave every 15, but it usually just autosaves one time 15 minutes after I save it and then that's it. I just assumed they were broken for everyone.


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Demigod
 
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:53 am
Posts: 3701
Location: MD
 Post subject: Re: No Autosaves
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:14 am 
paulstrait wrote:
Autosaves haven't been working properly for me for a long time, probably since 1.4. I have it set to autosave every 15, but it usually just autosaves one time 15 minutes after I save it and then that's it. I just assumed they were broken for everyone.

Verified with 1.4.0.2. The Autosave Chatlog is saving properly, but only the first Campaign Autosave is working.

_________________
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Deity
 
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:40 am
Posts: 9377
Location: Netherlands
 Post subject: Re: No Autosaves
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:41 am 
taustinoc wrote:
I have no experience with DropBox, so it may well work. But with Google Drive, it may give you fits. It doesn't play well with other programs. If I try to save (manually, but I expect it'd be the same with Autosave) while Drive is synching, either Drive will crash (and stop syncing) or (more likely) Windows will end up with a lock on the .cmpgn file that prevents MT from accessing it at all. (I'm not sure if Drive can at that point.) And, IIRC, I can't rename or delete the file through Windows Explorer. The quick fix is to delete stuff in one of the directories in the .maptool folder (which Drive doesn't touch - very weird). The real fix is a reboot.

So, I guess my point is this: don't trust this until you have tested it thoroughly. Cloud storage is darned useful, but not perfect.


Ive never experienced such an issue in dropbox and im using it (also in that context) for years now.

_________________
GETTING STARTED WITH MAPTOOLS - TUTORIALS, DOCS, VIDEOS, TOOLS, ETC

My stuff
Excel Tools: Table and Light editors
MT Tools: Bag of Tricks: Tools for Maptool, Dungeon Builder I, Dungeon Builder II,onMouseOverEvent and
DPI.
Frameworks: Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War, SET Card Game, RoboRally
Wiki: Debugging Tutorial, Speed Up Your Macros, Working With Two CODE Levels, Shortcut Keys, Avoiding Stack Overflow, READ THIS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Giant
 
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:30 pm
Posts: 198
 Post subject: Re: No Autosaves
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:27 am 
wolph42 wrote:
Ive never experienced such an issue in dropbox and im using it (also in that context) for years now.


That's good to hear. Out of curiosity, do you often deal with large, large .cmpgn files? (I suspect you do, but I wanted to ask because this mostly happens to me when the save file is quite large, dozens of megabytes, and it's worse at work where the internet connection is slower and the sync takes a long time.)


Top
 Profile  
 
User avatar  Offline
Deity
 
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:40 am
Posts: 9377
Location: Netherlands
 Post subject: Re: No Autosaves
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:38 pm 
I do have some campaigns around 50+ mb on dropbox, no problem.

_________________
GETTING STARTED WITH MAPTOOLS - TUTORIALS, DOCS, VIDEOS, TOOLS, ETC

My stuff
Excel Tools: Table and Light editors
MT Tools: Bag of Tricks: Tools for Maptool, Dungeon Builder I, Dungeon Builder II,onMouseOverEvent and
DPI.
Frameworks: Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, Only War, SET Card Game, RoboRally
Wiki: Debugging Tutorial, Speed Up Your Macros, Working With Two CODE Levels, Shortcut Keys, Avoiding Stack Overflow, READ THIS


Top
 Profile  
 
 Offline
Giant
 
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:30 pm
Posts: 198
 Post subject: Re: No Autosaves
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:55 pm 
That's good to know. Sadly, their free accounts seem to be 2 GB, which is about 2% of what I am currently using, and as best I can tell, their cheapest paid account is 2TB at over 3 times the cost of Drive. Their web site is very uninformative. I can't even tell if they still offer non-free personal accounts.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 243 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:14 am

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest





Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

Style based on Andreas08 by Andreas Viklund

Style by Elizabeth Shulman