Isometric VBL-Token Bug

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
MSleipnir
Kobold

Isometric VBL-Token Bug

Post by MSleipnir »

We use Maptools in isometric style...
problem: the generated VBL seems to be "under" the token.
is that an handling error by me, or is it not supported yet?
Attachments
picture for details
picture for details
maptool bug.jpg (99.68 KiB) Viewed 1217 times

xavram
Dragon

Re: Isometric VBL-Token Bug

Post by xavram »

I know its not an answer to your question but...More screenshots please, that looks really cool! :)

How'd you get the floor texture to wrap so seamlessly with the walls?

When you say, "The VBL is under the token", I think its just wherever you draw it. Guess I'd need to see more screenshots showing the actual VBL drawn to give better advice.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Perhaps screenshot of the vbl layer?
-Jamz

MSleipnir
Kobold

Post by MSleipnir »

@xavram: All elements were build and rendered in blender. In this case the floor and the wall in the same element.
Spoiler
VBL-Walls are working
VBL-Walls are working
campaign.jpg (108.65 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
Spoiler
wall example
wall example
Wall_W_Lamp_Red.png (56.56 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
clarification: The VBL-Layer works really well, i mean the "new" Token-VBL function, so tokens can block the view of another token.
In this example the Token "Bordin_Iso" should not see the Mindflayer because the Fighter blocks the line of sight. But in this case the the line of sight is blocked one feld under the token and the shape seems to be smaller as it should.
i mean this function
i mean this function
token-vbl.jpg (69.13 KiB) Viewed 1137 times

paulstrait
Dragon

Post by paulstrait »

It looks right to me. Remember that the 3d aspect of the isometric view is an illusion, and the VBL works as if you are looking overhead. So the base of the one token is what is blocking the vision of the other token -- the rest of its body isn't in the way if you draw straight lines from one token to the other.

MSleipnir
Kobold

Post by MSleipnir »

for a better description:

from left to right:
1st: is a flat isometric square and works pretty well.
2nd: is the same isometric square but uses an image table with the bigger figure -so the figure is smaller as it should
3rd: is a flat square with the height and width of a Figure but you can see VBL is shiftet
4th: is advanced square but with an image table
all token are declared as "figure"
Spoiler
token.jpg
token.jpg (65.1 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
so how can i combine the flat square with the figure image without the scaling?

sorry, i don’t speak English very well^^

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I see what you mean. Figures with VBL have their VBL shifted down below where the token is.

I do think it's unusual to have a figure with vbl though since the image doesn't really represent the true position of the token. For example, the head would block line of site for things that have line of site behind it.

I think the simple answer is that this feature isn't supported for figures and I wouldn't recommend using it that way.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Ya, that's a funky one, like AM said, your "probably" would want it to interact that way? (but doors? maybe? I dunno)

There very well could be a bug and tokenVBL on isometric is going to be kinda unsupported at the moment. To much stuff on my plate!

For a work around, there IS a transferVBL function that can move the VBL from token to VBL Layer and vice versa. You can try transferring the "square" vbl from the layer to the token and see if that works? (Not sure if it's going to get screwy in "translation")

It could get wierd, IIRC the token VBL want to be in the token "bounds" and those bounds are a little different with isometric tokens...
-Jamz

MSleipnir
Kobold

Post by MSleipnir »

This is a pity,
i hoped there is a way to block the line of sight through the base of the token (not the head or body of course).
maybe in the far future with a standard square oder circle ;)

uhhh... the transferVBL sounds good, but I fear i don't understand enough of the programstructure of maptools - i'm just an ordinary user^^ but i will try :mrgreen:
i heard some interesting things about the "bag of tricks" but i didn't use it. -does anybody know if something like that is possible with that tool?

Thank you so much! :D

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

If you only want the base to block, then I have an idea. You can have a base image, do the vbl thing and then change the image to the one you want. It'll keep the old vbl but have the new image. I did something similar with a complicated cave image. I'm not sure if the vbl will be shifted down though once you switch to a figure token though. The problem with that may just be creating the vbl for a figure token. I would try creating it with a normal token, then switch to a figure token.

MSleipnir
Kobold

Post by MSleipnir »

i tried so last night, and the new VBL has now the right size but when ich change to Figur-Token the VBL also is shifted down.
so i'm going to use this feature only for objects- this should be working.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I use a template to create my iso images. You could probably create your base higher than normal, do the vbl for token then change this image. For example the top ring from my template.
Attachments
iso template.png
iso template.png (94.97 KiB) Viewed 1069 times

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

re: transferring vbl, it's pretty simple and i recommend adding these to macros (I need to add them to the button menu I think...)
Transfer Map VBL to Token
[r: transferVBL(0)]
Transfer Token VBL to Map
[r: transferVBL(1)]
<!-- This removes the vbl from the token -->
[r: finalVblData = "{'shape':'none'}"]
[r: setTokenVBL(finalVblData)]
Select a token and bam, vbl is copied based on token footprint. I use this for, say, I I have a statue; create token VBL, transfer to map. It performs better as token doesn't move.

For your use case, create a square of VBL at the base, transfer to token. (you have to manually move the VBL from the VBL layer). Note; this is untested with ISO and suspect you may see some clipping as ISO token bounds may not == grid bounds?
-Jamz

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

I dont' recall having this implemented in the BoT, but its simple enough. I do have implemented the creation of vbl stamps, but those roughly got outdated as soon as the token vbl was introduced.

Return to “MapTool”