Server and campaign location

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
xavram
Dragon

Server and campaign location

Post by xavram »

Our DM is travelling but still wants to run our game tomorrow night. Since he'll be in Guam, he thought someone else should run the server, but I'm not sure if that will work. Will this work?

1. One of the player's runs the server (as a Player)
2. DM connects to the server (as GM) and loads the campaign
3. Everyone else joins the server normally.

Will this work? Or will we have an issue since the GM isn't running the server himself?

taustinoc
Dragon

Re: Server and campaign location

Post by taustinoc »

I have regularly connected as GM to a server running on a different machine, and the only problem I've ever had is that things don't seem to save right on the remote machine. Always save on the machine running the server.

Also, if there's trust issues, whoever is running the server will have GM access to everything. They can run a second instance and connect to themselves as a player, but they'll still be able to access the server with complete access.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

xavram wrote: 2. DM connects to the server (as GM) and loads the campaign
The person running the server has to load the campaign, then save it afterwards (and, likely, get the new file back to the GM at some point.)
taustinoc wrote: I have regularly connected as GM to a server running on a different machine, and the only problem I've ever had is that things don't seem to save right on the remote machine. Always save on the machine running the server.
This is true.
Also, if there's trust issues, whoever is running the server will have GM access to everything. They can run a second instance and connect to themselves as a player, but they'll still be able to access the server with complete access.
This isn't totally true.

The server can be run *as a player*, then the player can load the campaign file, and then the remote player can log in as the GM (with full access, as expected). The player will never have access to anything they shouldn't this way.

They will, out of necessity, have access to the campaign file though and could look at it with another instance of MT. But they won't be able to see what the GM is doing during the game, etc.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Full Bleed wrote: The server can be run *as a player*, then the player can load the campaign file, and then the remote player can log in as the GM (with full access, as expected). The player will never have access to anything they shouldn't this way.

They will, out of necessity, have access to the campaign file though and could look at it with another instance of MT. But they won't be able to see what the GM is doing during the game, etc.
Makes sense, I guess. (Never been an issue to me.) The server host could also, obviously long in as a GM (since they set the password). I suppose they'd show up as having done so, if the GM is paying attention.

As I said, though, it's only a problem if there are trust issues. I have no such problems with my players, but others might.

Return to “MapTool”