Advice on gaming table

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Tutunkommon
Kobold

Advice on gaming table

Post by Tutunkommon »

I'm looking for some advice on how to run my setup. I have 2 laptops at the DM station. One is connected to an external display (TV) hung on the wall, and the other is connected to a TV mounted in a gaming table.

I don't have any trouble running the GM instance and a player instance on one computer, and another player instance on the 2nd machine and getting the networking going. I'd like to be able to use the GM screen to force the player view on the wall to match the GM view, but not change the one in the table because I have to set the zoom and whatnot to match the miniatures we use.

I tried not connecting the table view to the GM server, but I still want to use the fog of war and VBL tools on the table view as well.

Is it possible to have one player login be forced to follow the GM view, but not the other?

Thanks!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Advice on gaming table

Post by wolph42 »

Not really. The core setting is either all or none. you can however emulate it to a certain extent with macros

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

One thing you could do is duplicate the map using the import/export option and have one screen (that doesn't move with gm view) and the other where it does. The problem would be you'd have to move the tokens on both maps which I think would be more of a pain. I think wolph has some code and it may be built in to his tools lib that allows you to move both tokens at the same time though.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

aliasmask wrote:One thing you could do is duplicate the map using the import/export option and have one screen (that doesn't move with gm view) and the other where it does. The problem would be you'd have to move the tokens on both maps which I think would be more of a pain. I think wolph has some code and it may be built in to his tools lib that allows you to move both tokens at the same time though.
yes, thats also a possibility but that is prone to many more problems. Easiest is to use onTokenMove and use that to execute a viewselection on all clients you wish to sync. This *does* require you to move a token before it kicks in, but its the easiest to implement.

Return to “MapTool”