I hope someone else can figure this out

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
keatskuren
Kobold

I hope someone else can figure this out

Post by keatskuren »

Lately any time I use maptools for more than say ten minutes the screen starts getting weird and doubling things up, covering things up, and making the program incredibly annoying to use. So far I've done clean installs of multiple versions of maptools, java, and my graphics driver and none of these have helped so I honestly have no clue where to go from here.

Picture because it's easier than the thousand words.
http://www.dropbox.com/s/w9ic5adhbjvuow ... o.png?dl=0

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: I hope someone else can figure this out

Post by wolph42 »

apparently windows recently updated your graphics driver without your knowledge, causing this issue. Sometimes graphics drivers have bad compatibility with java. Best bet: try installing an older version of the driver.

keatskuren
Kobold

Post by keatskuren »

At this point I've tried three different versions of my graphics driver. The newest out at the end of last month and then two others that were from roughly six months ago. I have noticed i can easily trigger it by going in to edit any macro and occasionally campaign preferences.

I've tried using 1.4.1.8, 1.4.0.5, and 1.3b91 if any of those would make any difference

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Try using the latest version and go to the troubleshooting tab. There are 2 checkboxes you can test (one at a time). One has to do with directX and the other openGL.

Also make sure you have the 64bit version of java installed. This can only be done with the manual download. The auto download only does 32bit. When installing a new java, remove the old one, restart your computer, install new version. The restart is important. Actually, the latest version includes it's own version of java, but it's best to make sure you have the most current version on your system anyway.

keatskuren
Kobold

Post by keatskuren »

Uninstalled, reset, and did a fresh install of java and redownloaded the newest maptools build. Without the troubleshooting options it does the same thing, but if i check either the dx or opengl options it appears to fix it or at least I can't immediately recreate the issue I was having by editing a macro

Quick edit but if I pass the java arguments back to older builds they also work now

Return to “MapTool”