Improving MapTool Performance?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
elaxter
Kobold

Improving MapTool Performance?

Post by elaxter »

Hello, I would like to know of any ways to improve performance in MapTool. I get lag while the grid is being shown, and loading some maps takes longer than expected. I know the launcher has fields for inputting max and min memory (mine's at default), as well as setting the stack size (I have it set to 8), but I don't know the safe levels to set these options at. Is there a guide I can follow, or precautions I can take to help improve performance?

Any help would be appreciated.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Improving MapTool Performance?

Post by aliasmask »

I use these settings:
Max: 2048
Min: default
Stack: 4

If you look at wolph42's signature I think there something on MT performance and things you can do and don't do. One big thing is using VBL and setting your max vision distance.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

aliasmask wrote:I use these settings:
Max: 2048
Note that this requires 64 bit Java, which you may or may not have. 1024 is always safe.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Unless you have a REALLY old machine, most have 64 bit processing and you should always install the 64-bit java (manual download only). Or you can use version 1.4.1.7 and beyond which has java included in download.

Return to “MapTool”