lock zoom scale on 2nd monitor for FTF digital maps

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Conandy
Kobold

lock zoom scale on 2nd monitor for FTF digital maps

Post by Conandy »

I have just started using Maptool for face-to-face digital maps on a 1080P 40" LED TV, laying horizontal on the table. I run 2 copies of maptool on my laptop, the GM copy and the player copy. I then drag the player copy over onto the TV "monitor", turn on the grid, and hit "view fullscreen".

I found, rather fortuitously, that if I scale maps at 50 pixels per square with 5' squares, and set the view scale on the player copy to 100%, the grid is almost exactly 1" squares on the screen, ideal for minis on the screen battlemaps.

However, no matter how many times I check and un-check "lock zoom" on the player copy, each time I switch maps, the player copy automatically goes back to a scale of 83% instead of 100%. It is only 2 mousewheel clicks to get it back to 100% scale, but that means I have to take it out of fullscreen mode, unlock the zoom, zoom it, lock it, and put it back in full screen mode. All with that monitor at 90 angle to my laptop screen and with a bad viewing angle from my seat, so it is rather a pain of a process.

Any hints on why this is happening?

I am starting to think it might be easier to manage the player copy of maptool with a separate laptop and a mirrored screen instead of running it from my main laptop, but I'd rather not have to invest in more hardware as yet.

I'd explain this a little better with click by click examples, but I don't have it all set up at the moment. But I will set it up again if that helps with troubleshooting.

Thanks.
Andrew Grover

“Evil isn’t the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference.” - Harry Dresden

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: lock zoom scale on 2nd monitor for FTF digital maps

Post by aliasmask »

I'm not sure why the zoom would change but you could use the hotkey "+" to set it back to 1:1.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Conandy wrote:I'd explain this a little better with click by click examples, but I don't have it all set up at the moment. But I will set it up again if that helps with troubleshooting.
I can't reproduce the "zoom change to 83% issue" across two monitors and two instances of MT (on version 1.4.0.2.)

I think you're going to need to provide some more information about the process you're using and your setup.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

How do you switch maps? manually or via Macro?

Also, there is a zoom adjustment macro (although I haven't used it) should allow you to set it via macro, handy if you use macros to move tokens around.
-Jamz

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Are you using the "Center Players on Current View (Continuous)"?

If the resolution of your map views on the GM and Player clients aren't exactly the same size then when you flip maps it will force the Player client to zoom as needed to display exactly the extents that the GM sees.

I'm guessing that on your GM view you have one or more other windows (macros, map explorer, library) open and so your GM map area is one resolution but your map area on the Player view is 1920x1080.

Return to “MapTool”