Where can I get premade campaigns?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
someonenoone11
Kobold

Where can I get premade campaigns?

Post by someonenoone11 »

Just wondering if such things exist. I looked at the map I created for War of the Burning Sky adventure path, and man did it look lame...

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Where can I get premade campaigns?

Post by Full Bleed »

someonenoone11 wrote:Just wondering if such things exist. I looked at the map I created for War of the Burning Sky adventure path, and man did it look lame...
There isn't very much sharing of premade campaigns. I suspect largely because Maptool is so highly customizeable that's it's hard to find enough people using the exact same framework capable of making it easy to provide a campaign file that would work for a large enough group. There has never been a movement to produce guidelines for pre-prepared campaign files that would be more universal.

And, of course, there are copyright infringement issues. Maptoool doesn't provide a copy protected campaign file ability to entice official support from publishers and between what artwork can be used and what can be used from published adventures, many may be gun-shy about producing and sharing anything substantial.

That said, compared to every other VTT I know, MT is the easiest to get usable content into and setup for a game (potentially made much easier or more difficult depending on the framework you're using and the demands you have for your particular game.)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

there is no such thing for all the reasons Full Bleed mentioned.

However, search the net for maps, there are plenty of them, especially for fantasy settings. Drop them into Maptool. Add tokens, optionally setup a fog of war / visual block setting and you're good to go.

It usually take around 5 minutes to setup an encounter if you have the map, it can go below 1 minutes when you're experienced.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Actually if what you mean by premade campaign files are just campaign files with maps, and perhaps tokens/objects, then, yes, they do exist.

Rite Publishing has quite a few on DTRPG:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... astic-Maps

And there are others that have produced complete campaign files including some using the Bag of Tricks for doors, teleporting, hiding/revealing building interiors and so on.

A search on DTRPG for maptool will bring up most items that include campaign files.

Additionally there are lots of map creators on DTRPG that include versions of the maps for VTT use but you would have to put them in your own campaign files.

Dracwrym
Cave Troll

Post by Dracwrym »

I made my own maps based on the originals. I have a full campaign for Sunless Citadel, but without the text. I just have lights, BoT for doors, and all the NPCs placed. I have number tokens on the hidden layer, so the DM can see them but players can't so I can tell what room it is to compare it to the notes.

Currently I'm running Out of the Abyss, but with the official maps and some homemade ones. It's not complete yet as I'm adding maps as we go, but getting there. This time, I'm not doing any VBL, just hiding NPCs until visible. The original maps are too nice to try to duplicate.

It's not too difficult if you use pre-made maps, it's just a matter of placing everything and it's time consuming.

Return to “MapTool”