LAN game on Crouton

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
salt
Kobold

LAN game on Crouton

Post by salt »

Is there any walkthrough available for running a LAN game on Crouton

I've done this with Crouton on Linux to Crouton on Linux, but the laptop that i was using as a server is not reliable due to hardware issues with the laptop screen. I bought a chromebook with the understanding that i could get maptools running on Crouton. I have done that, but have not been able to connect to a server or start a server that I can find.

Any help would be appreciated.

salt
Kobold

Re: LAN game on Crouton

Post by salt »

sorry I worded that first post incorrectly.

I have successfully played a LAN game on Linux to Linux, but not through Crouton as a server or as a client. Are there some ports that need to be open? How do I diagnose the problem?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

If you are talking about having people outside of the servers LAN connecting then you will need a port open. The start server dialog shows you the Port that will be used. It is 51234 by default.

To test if your server is visible to the outside world, use one of the online port scanners to test if your server is visible.

salt
Kobold

Post by salt »

Phergus wrote:If you are talking about having people outside of the servers LAN connecting then you will need a port open. The start server dialog shows you the Port that will be used. It is 51234 by default.

To test if your server is visible to the outside world, use one of the online port scanners to test if your server is visible.
No, I'm just trying to do this within the LAN. I've been able to do it with Ubuntu Linux to Ubuntu Linux, but I'm unable to do with my crouton install. I have tried to do these steps here, https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton/wi ... in-crouton

I am now able to connect to a server in a seperate window on my crouton install by doing a direct connect, but not through the LAN tab.

One thing that is different on this operating system from the other ones is that when i start the server, I get a window that says,

looking for gateway devices on veth_android
looking for gateway devices on mlan0
looking for gateway devices on br0

salt
Kobold

Post by salt »

is there any sort of diagnostic tools that i can use? anything at all?

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

If it's looking for a gateway, that suggests that something in the network settings are either mis- or un-configured.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

salt wrote:I am now able to connect to a server in a seperate window on my crouton install by doing a direct connect, but not through the LAN tab.
Since direct connect works fine then it is just that your server instance isn't "discoverable" on the network from the LAN tab.

If you have a Windows PC, that you can test to see if your server is visible from an MT instance running on it that may provide some insight as to whether it is that your server it is that your server isn't visible or that your other instance can't see it.

Return to “MapTool”