Vision-blocking works on all maps but one

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Dachimotsu
Kobold

Vision-blocking works on all maps but one

Post by Dachimotsu »

I have two maps prepared for my next session, both with vision-blocking layers applied. One map works just fine, perfectly as intended, with any vision-bearing token I place on it. However, the second map does not, no matter which tokens I place on it. As far as I can tell, the maps share all properties, including vision type (off/day/night).

I have Windows 10, the latest version of java, and am using the latest stable build of MapTool. My MaxMem is set to 1024, and my StackSize is set to 10.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Vision-blocking works on all maps but one

Post by Full Bleed »

Dachimotsu wrote:I have two maps prepared for my next session, both with vision-blocking layers applied. One map works just fine, perfectly as intended, with any vision-bearing token I place on it. However, the second map does not, no matter which tokens I place on it. As far as I can tell, the maps share all properties, including vision type (off/day/night).

I have Windows 10, the latest version of java, and am using the latest stable build of MapTool. My MaxMem is set to 1024, and my StackSize is set to 10.
That's not enough information to figure out the problem with the map... you will have to share your campaign file.

And while it's not likely to address this particular issue, I would change your stack size to 4.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Dachimotsu
Kobold

Post by Dachimotsu »

Actually, I think I may have found something of a solution. Reducing the total amount of vision-blocking on the map made the vision work. Must be a memory thing. I did set my stacksize to 4, but I really don't know what it even does. If I set my MaxMem higher, could I have more vision-blocking?

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Stacksize is how much memory is allocated per thread. 4M is a good size. Only very long/complicated macros will use/need more. If you ever see a StackSize memory error, you know to increase it. :)

1025M or 1GB is sort of on the medium/low end. Go at least 2048 or(or 2GB). If you know how much memory you have, you can try more (4096 if you have 6-8 GB of memory). I generally use 4096 and ok with performance. Although, I've never had VBL NOT show up, I've never ran low memory settings...
-Jamz

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Dachimotsu wrote:If I set my MaxMem higher, could I have more vision-blocking?
If it is a memory issue, maybe. But it's a more complicated question than that. If you're on Windows 10, it's probably 64 bit Windows. But if you just went to http://www.java.com/ and clicked on the big red download button, you've got 32 bit Java, and going much above 1024 MaxMem run the risk of a silent failure and no clue what's wrong.

I believe the Gather Debug Info under the Help menu will tell if you Java is 64 bit (and Windows, for that matter), if you're not certain.

If you need to install 64 bit Java, first uninstall the current version, then go to the download page, and follow the link that says "See all Java downloads." underneath the big red download button, and find the correct one.

If you have 64 bit Java, you can generally safely double the MaxMem (unless the system only has 4 GB of RAM, in which case that may be too much), but be careful about your maps unless you're certain everyone connecting has 64 bit Java. It is possible to build a map that will work fine on your increased memory settings, but won't for someone with 32 bit Java.

In any case, if you increase the memory, and when you launch MapTool from the launcher, if the launcher just disappears and nothing happens, that's probably Java failing from a bad memory setting. There won't be an error message, so keep that in mind.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Dachimotsu wrote:Actually, I think I may have found something of a solution. Reducing the total amount of vision-blocking on the map made the vision work. Must be a memory thing.
Almost no chance it was a memory issue. It was most likely just some overly complicated VBL. Vision, because of lighting and VBL, is the single biggest factor affecting performance in MapTool. Limit your vision distance on the map when creating it to only what is needed. If the map image is only 12x12 squares set the Map Vision Distance to only 17 or so.

What often works best for creating the VBL for a map is to draw a big single filled rectangle of VBL over your map and then erase the VBL over rooms and passages. This would be for interior maps like dungeons. For outdoors, don't do that. Instead use the hollow rectangle tool around the area of interest and then use the hollow rectangle or line tool to block areas inside that overall VBL rectangle.

Others have already advised you on appropriate memory settings.

Dachimotsu
Kobold

Post by Dachimotsu »

Okay, after trying everyone's suggestions, Phergus's worked the best. I had a lot of solid blocks of vision-blocking, but once I made them hollow, everything worked great.
Thanks, Phergus!

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Glad you got it working!

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

I had a map that had a weird VBL issue last session. Lighting and Vision would not work at all during the session. What was strange is that if I drew VBL on the lower half of the map in certain areas, it suddenly worked for certain tokens but not all of them. It was really strange. I've since wiped out all the VBL on that map and drew it all back in, and now it works, but I have no idea on why it broke in the first place. (Note: my memory settings are 4g, 4g, 4m)

Here is that broken map for those who are interested and like figuring out the why's in life. :)
Abduction.rpmap
(9.69 MiB) Downloaded 37 times
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Return to “MapTool”